Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Backup Exec 2014 verify issues

I have two backup jobs that complete but then have their verify jobs fail. Below are the two failures.

Job Completion Status 
Job ended: Monday, February 15, 2016 at 6:06:29 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe34 - A checksum of the data has failed.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65076

Errors 
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Verify- \\GSHV01.ad.gvc.org\C: Difference encountered in file data.

The file \Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual hard disks\GSBEDC02.vhdx is different.

Difference encountered in file data.

The file \Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual hard disks\GSMGM\disk-0.vhdx is different.

=====================================================

Job Completion Status 
Job ended: Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 11:06:09 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe34 - A checksum of the data has failed.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65076

Errors 
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Verify- \\GSBEDC01.ad.gic.org\D: DataDifference encountered in file data.

The file \Shares\6-4-15.pub is different.

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in Disk storage 0008.

V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

======================================================

I also found two of these in the application log. One for each of the two disks I use to store the backups.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Backup Exec
Date:          2/13/2016 10:53:39 PM
Event ID:      57612
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      GSBEDC01.ad.gvc.org
Description:
A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device "Disk storage 0008". 

============================================================

I have two external hard drives that I use to store the backups. They are swapped off site each week. I see a similar error each week. The file may be different but the error is the same. One of the two hard drives is new. The other passed diagnostics.

I checked this link. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000028347 However, none of the suggestions seem to help.

Any help would be appreciated. I will perform a test restore on Friday morning. Could it be that my data is actually fine and this error is happening for some other reason than the data is no good?

Thank you,

Justin

• 1) Make sure the disks are functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager and they can be read/write using other programs.

2) Run the B2DTest below to make sure that there are no problems with the disks.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000037869

3) USB ports are not known for their reliablity.  Have you tried other ports?

4) If you are using Server 2008 R2 or earlier, make sure that your disks are formatted for 512e sector sizes and not 4k sector sizes.

5) If you have changed the default buffer and block sizes, make sure that they are equal.  This will ensure that new backup sets would be readable, but will not do anything for existing backup sets.

2 Replies

• 1) Make sure the disks are functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager and they can be read/write using other programs.

2) Run the B2DTest below to make sure that there are no problems with the disks.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000037869

3) USB ports are not known for their reliablity.  Have you tried other ports?

4) If you are using Server 2008 R2 or earlier, make sure that your disks are formatted for 512e sector sizes and not 4k sector sizes.

5) If you have changed the default buffer and block sizes, make sure that they are equal.  This will ensure that new backup sets would be readable, but will not do anything for existing backup sets.

• Thank you for the reply.

The disks appear to be functioning normally. I formatted both of them and setup new devices in BE. Also, the backups during the week run fine. It is only the SDR backups on the weekend that fail the checksum.

I will be on site Monday and will run the B2D test tool.

The disks we have are only USB. I will try a differnet USB port.

We are running server 2012 R2.

I haven't changed the default buffer or block sizes.

Justin