Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Backup SMB Share

Hello everybody,

I have an Editshare Video Server.

This Server has 71TB as complete Amount of Data.

This Data is provided via a SMB Share over the network.

How can I backup this Share without installing an agent into the Editshare OS (which doesn't allow to install any stuff that isn't from Editshare)?

Thank you very much!

Kind Regards,

Christoph Borchert

• You don't need to install any agent to backup this share. Treat it as if it is a share on a NAS which you cannot install any any agent.  As long as the share is a standard SMB share, you can back it up.  See this document.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189560

Although you cannot install any agent on the server, to comply with licencing terms you would still need to install either a AWS or a RALUS licence on the media server for this remote server.

9 Replies

• Hi Christoph,

I haven't seen that OS supported on any BE SCL...if it is Linux, you might want to see what version it is, and if this is listed on the BE 2012 SCL. You would then need a RALUS agent.

Have you tried to add it in as a network share, and then back it up accordingly?

Thanks!

• You don't need to install any agent to backup this share. Treat it as if it is a share on a NAS which you cannot install any any agent.  As long as the share is a standard SMB share, you can back it up.  See this document.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189560

Although you cannot install any agent on the server, to comply with licencing terms you would still need to install either a AWS or a RALUS licence on the media server for this remote server.

• Hi there,

thank you for your tips, but it still doesn't work...

I activated the checkbox for the "Allow to choose Network Shares ..." in the settings.

But as soon as I try to add the Linux as a File-Server it tells me, that my Login-Credentials are wrong and I have to install a Agent or the Agent could not be reached.

I tried it with the local Admin of the Linux System and my Backup User that is created on the Linux...

Kind Regards,

Christoph

• Does the BESA has full read/write access to the share? Can you access the share when you are login to the media server with the BESA?
  • No, it needs another user to access the data from the SMB Share.

I created the user in BE and tried it but it didn't work.

• You should give the BESA permission to the share rather than creating another user
  •  

It didn't work.

Backup Exec stops with an error After around 31TB.

it comes To my mind that BE isn't the right product for us...

• ...might not be. Why not ask this question in the NBU forum?

THanks!

• The fact that you can start a backup means that the credentials problem are solved.

What are the error messages?