Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Backup solution mixed environment: virtual, physical, servers and clients

I am seeking advice for setting up a backup solution for a small system typically consisting of:

- 1 ESXi host

- 4-8 vitual servers, typically running Windows Server 2008 R2

- 2-5 physical machines, runnning Windows 7 Pro. 

I want to have both image backups for disaster recovery with the ability to re-create machines for testing purposes off site, and files and folder backups.

I hope you can give some advice on software products that you reccomend and also typical set up and installation. For example use of agents, management software etc. Also if a dedicated machines is required for management software or if it is possible to do without.  And also how best to save the backups, in an external disk, file server or similar.

I do not require a long term storage of backups, but 2-3 weeks and backups are taken minimum once a week.

Thanks!

• DLO is intended to backup user data files on workstations, if you need full (image level) DR of the Windows 7 (physical systems) then SSR (Symantec System Recovery) will be a better fit

Note both DLO and SSR only write backups to disk storage, neither write to tape (this may or may not be important)

2 Replies

• DLO is intended to backup user data files on workstations, if you need full (image level) DR of the Windows 7 (physical systems) then SSR (Symantec System Recovery) will be a better fit

Note both DLO and SSR only write backups to disk storage, neither write to tape (this may or may not be important)