Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Backup tapes: LTO3: Half used capacity

Good Day

Using backup exec 12.5 SP5 on Win2003 server with HP Ultrium 3 SCSI tape device.

Our LTO3 tapes only get half used but indicate full. Tried software compression on/off - no difference. Tape drive doesn't support H/W compression.

Regards

15 Replies

• I suggest contacting HP tech support for an analysis of your drive and media.

1.       After installing L&TT, open the utility to scan the bus

2.       Once the drive is found under the 'Drives' hive, select it

a.       If the drive is not found, stop any application(s) that may have it locked

b.      Eject any media from the drive

3.       Select the 'support' icon from across the top of the screen

4.       Select the 'Extract Device Data' option and wait for the process to complete

5.       Select the 'Save Support Ticket' option and chose a location to store the log

• Hi,

Any news on whether or not this is sorted out?

Thanks!

• Hi,

Did you try cleaning the HP device, and maybe downloading some testing tool from HP.

I recently had same problem with Quantum LTO3 drive, it was writing less data then tape capacity. I noticed that the number of soft write errors was huge(about 300 000).

And it was a HW problem with the drive.

Best Regards 

• Have you tried with other tapes to see if this is could be the cause of drive head error or tape bad sector ?

• I have the same issue the backup written is only Half. If I go back to the old tapes its fine.