Forum Discussion

18 years ago

beremote.exe crashes in module msvcr71.dll

Hi,

after upgrading BackupExec 10 to 11 on my servers the remote agent constantly crashes during backups. Application failure beremote.exe version 11..6235.0 in msvcr71.dll 7.10.3052.4 at offset 0002cf20.

This behavior happens on many servers, even on the media server.

Does anyone have the same problem and probably solved it?

Thx, Thomas.

9 Replies

• Looks like it cannot backup that particular dll for some reason, the logs should tell you the location of this dll, if not you can search for it or turn up the verbosity of your logging using tools/options.

Try your backups without the folder this file is located in, if your problem stops then you need to look at the dll and what it is used for, sounds like you have a common usage across your servers, there may be an upgrade to the application that uses this dll, there may be a later version of the dll.

It is highly unlikely the DLL is corrupt as it exists on all of your servers.
  • Are these 64-bit server or 32-bit?

Are you backing up by modified time?

Do you have pre-scan enabled?
  • Hi,

the systems are 32 Bit Windows 2003 and 2003 R2 Servers. It is a full backup, not by modified time. Pre-scan is enabled.

Another problem came up: The exchange database backup does not allow a restore of all individual user mailboxes. Some show up, some do not in the restore selection list. Why that? Option to allow single object restore from database backup is set!

Thomas.
  • A few people have had that exchange issue, all I can suggest is doing legacy mailbox backups as well to cover your backside.

There is a best practices guide or exchange you could read.

The backup exec account has to have full administrator access to all of the mailboxes. Apparently the first four characters of the backup exec account need to be unique in the organisation.

Backup exec account also needs a mailbox.
  • The problem with incomplete Exchange backups / restores is now officially reported to be a bug for which they plan a hotfix:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286823.htm

But the problem with the crashing remote agents has no solutions so far.

And of course I read best practices guides. What kind of solution for symantec-engineered-bugs is that advice?
  • Tomhas.

Just wanted to let you know I have this same issue. I even have all the hotfixes applied. I want to say that restoreing an individual email box, which it wasn't successfully able to do, also crashed the remote agent.

This is so frustrating, I just want a good solid backup system. Its to the point where I'm remotly checking in during the night to make sure things are running smoothly. It's like taking care of an infant...
  • Thomas,
    I have the exact same error message on my media server as well. Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition SP1...I have narrowed it down a bit. The error only seems to occur on the media server when backing up the 'System State' of the media server AND having the option 'Enable the restore on individual objects from Active Directory backups' If I uncheck the option, the backup runs fine. As a work around I now only backup AD weekly and have moved the 'System State' to be the last item in the resource order. This way when it does crash, at least the backup job finishes backing up all my other resources before the crash. I also enable the service to restart after a crash on services 'recovery' tab.
    As far as the msvcr71.dll goes I do not backup this file directly, and curiosly enough this dll is installed by the remote agent install.

Good Luck, and maybe Symantec will figure it out soon.
    Jeff
  • Hi Jeff,

that is exactly what I did in the meantime. Backup without the individual item restore option of the AD does not crash the agent. But that is not a successful backup for me.

But we found another solution: We have migrated our backup solution to HP Data Protector. That works fine! And agents for remote servers (except data bases) are for free!

Goodbye Symantec. Backup Exec has been a very good product for years. And you took only one product cycle to ruin it! No more yellow boxes in our company!