Forum Discussion

Jana_T
Level 4
13 years ago

Cannot install archiving option on BE 12

Hi everyone,

I have trouble installing the archiving option on my BE 2012 v14.0. OS: 2008 R2 standard 64

after i have met all te other requirements for installation of this option (i've also grt enabled on my backup and it's working) the installation hangs after choosing the installation language with the error (see attachment)

'the install failed with an unexpected error: length cannot be less than zero'

i have a feeling that this is a registry issue. since i've already had an archiving option installed but due to some problems with backup exec, i had to uninstall it. and now, it won't work.

also, nothing to see in the event viewer.

i've tried removing and adding the licenses back in, with no luck..

has anyone seen this error before?

regards,

•  

Hi Jana,

It seems to be some issue with the way the BE Service credentials have been provided.

Please follow below steps and let us know if you are able to proceed with the Archive Option installation.

Go to Configurations and Settings - > Backup Exec services

Backup Exec Services Manager - > Edit credentials

Service Account Information Dialog

Check Change Service account credentials checkbox

Enter Old user name: Username@Domain.com

Enter New user name: Domain\Username

Enter old password and new password.

Click Ok.

Retry the Backup Exec Archive Option installation.

Regards

Santosh

9 Replies

• Browse to C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\bkupinst.htm

Check the install log for the exact error message 

• there is no suche file in C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs

the only file with such name is an xsl stylesheet in C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec

• Check for BKUPINST2012.htm file in the above mentioned location.

Thanks,

-Sush...

• I could find following two messages in the log file:

07-12-2012,11:23:00  : A previous program installation created pending file operations on the installation machine. You must restart the computer before installing Exchange Mailbox Archiving Option, 10-user license.

and

07-13-2012,12:04:07  : If this install is being run from a network share, copying the media locally may resolve this issue.

So is it possible to first reboot the server and then perform the installation? 

Also if you have the installables on network share or have mounted it virtually try to copy them on local drive and then perform the installation.

Here is another error so you need to check the Username and password also:

07-13-2012,12:02:09  : The account name and/or password supplied is not valid. Please re-enter the login information and try again.

Thanks,

-Sush...

• i did the reboot several times. didn't help

i'm starting the installation through the BE gui using 'install options' it is using the BE setup that is located on a dvd. that should be no problem?

i'm also running BE as an admin, so i don't see that there should be any problems regarding permissions. also during installation of archiving option i just select my license and nothing else is needed. the weired thing is that any other option can be installed and added except of this one (and File System archiving option),

e.g. Deduplication option, for which i don't even have a license can be installed with no problem

•  

Hi Jana,

It seems to be some issue with the way the BE Service credentials have been provided.

Please follow below steps and let us know if you are able to proceed with the Archive Option installation.

Go to Configurations and Settings - > Backup Exec services

Backup Exec Services Manager - > Edit credentials

Service Account Information Dialog

Check Change Service account credentials checkbox

Enter Old user name: Username@Domain.com

Enter New user name: Domain\Username

Enter old password and new password.

Click Ok.

Retry the Backup Exec Archive Option installation.

Regards

Santosh

• ..are my hero :)

i cannot belive that this was causing the error - hope it doesn't affect my other backups.

thank you so much

regards,

jana