Forum Discussion

nia
Level 5
16 years ago

CASO - SSO and Library Expansion Issue

Hello all,

I have the following environment:

1x Tape library with one tape drive connected to a SAN.
3x Backup Exec Servers with the SSO license installed.
One of the three servers is configured with CASO option in order to administer the other Backup Exec Servers.
10x servers to backup with the appropriate licenses.

So, We have configured each server to backup some servers. All servers use (and see from the management console) the same library with the tape drive.
On the CASO server, I see the 2 other backup servers and in the device screen, i see 3 different devices. One for each server.
Every 30 mins I see an error in the alert screen about the Library expansion option. It says in a few words that we have license only for one device but it seems that more than one device is installed.

I have searched a little bit in Symantec and found that if I wan to share a tape drive, we should to install different Backup exec Servers with the SSO license to use the shared tape drive.

So my question is:
1. In order to avoid the error for the library expansion, I need to remove the caso option from the Central server and at the end to have three different individual servers. Correct?
2. With this topology, is there any option to have a centralized view of the backups?

PS. We inherited this topology from a previous installation. They used this topology in order to backup the servers directly from the SAN and not through the other servers, eg One backup server on the ORACLE server to backup itself directly to the tape, one server to the SQL server to backup directly itself to the tape and the last server on on DOMINO server (this is the central) to backup itself and some file servers directly to the tape drive.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the too much information!

• Well, you'd install the SAN SSO option on your central server. This becomes your Primary server. This will hold the shared ADAMM and catalalog databases for the Shared Storage Network.
    Any additional servers get installed as Secondary servers, and you will put in the name of your server of your Primary server. You can do this from the Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server on each distributed server.
    Once done, the library will show up, and you can configure your jobs on those servers. These jobs will then show up on the Primary server.
    In this case, I wouldn't use the CASO option if those distributed servers are backing other servers via an agent. You can report from the SAN SSO server.

8 Replies

• SAN SSO should be as follows:

1. Central server with a library visible.
    2. Distributed servers loaded with a full copy of Backup Exec on each server, and zoning on your fibre channel switches to see the tape library.
    3. Setting up og jobs on each distributed server, and not on the central server.

Your zoning on your FC switches has to be correct firstly. What the SAN SSO option does on your central server is basically share the library with the other servers, and enable this sharing. If you don't have it, you would run into issues as the library wouldn't be correctly shared.
    Your SAN SSO server acts like a CASO, and will show what the status of your jobs on your distributed servers would be. I tried using the CASO option on my distributed SAN servers, and found that it caused issues with my backups, so I removed it. Instead, I pointed it to the SAN SSO server.
    If your SAN SSO server is set up correctly, all your distributed servers would see only 1 tape library, not 3. You can partition the autoloader to point your distributed server jobs to specific slots too.
  • Thanks CraigV.
    So I need the SAN SSO license installed to all 3 servers and set the CASO server as the primary SAN SSO server and the others as secondary etc?

• Well, you'd install the SAN SSO option on your central server. This becomes your Primary server. This will hold the shared ADAMM and catalalog databases for the Shared Storage Network.
    Any additional servers get installed as Secondary servers, and you will put in the name of your server of your Primary server. You can do this from the Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server on each distributed server.
    Once done, the library will show up, and you can configure your jobs on those servers. These jobs will then show up on the Primary server.
    In this case, I wouldn't use the CASO option if those distributed servers are backing other servers via an agent. You can report from the SAN SSO server.
  • So, if I got it right:

I should install the SSO on the "Management" Server as primary and then configure the other two servers as secondary.
    I can (but it is not necessary) use CASO option on the management server in order to see all the jobs from the other servers.

The other servers, should be installed as Standalone servers or centrally managed?

• Quite correct. 1 management server, and the rest attached to your SAN, and that you want to share a library, will be secondary.
    The BIG benefit to using this will be utilising your SAN's speed, and not your LAN.
    In this case, I wouldn't worry about CASO as that SAN SSO Primary server does the same thing.
  • Thanks CraigV.

I will try to do this but I do not know when.
    I am 99% sure that it will work.

Thanks again, 
  • I have 1 BE12.5  server  want to use tape library via SAN. My question is :

How many SSO license I have to buy for this option?

Thank you so much

• Hi

The license count fot the SSO scenario will be as follows
    • 1 SAN based server - 1 SSO and 1 base pack
    • If that SAN server is also any database server, then the respective license will be also required i.e. if exchange then Agent for Exchange server, If SQL then Agent for SQL
    • If you are having more than 1 tape drive available in the library, then for no. of additional drive - no. of LEOs (Library Expanssion Option)
    • If SSO license is not installed on respective servers, then backup will happen through LAN. That means the data flow will b through NIC not trough HBA
    Please let me know in case of any doubt.

Regards,
    Abhijit Soman