Forum Discussion

jimw01
Level 2
14 years ago

Communication Stall with Tape Library

I have two tape libraries attached to my Backup Exec 12.0 Server. They worked fine this weekend. When i went to Export the tapes today, I am getting communications stalled with both libraries. I had rebooted the server on Friday before the weekend, but made no changes. I do see some ADAMM errors in the event log, but they are not pointing me to anything that has helped.

• The libraries are attached to 4 different fiber cards. I went through the process of getting both libraries installed on the server. Then I ran an Initialization of each job. This time it showed the status in the job of Server Paused. I toggled the Server to be Paused and then UnPaused. Now the jobs are working fine. I think it was the Server Paused issue all along. I just had some other errors that were "in the way". Oh well, now all my logs are clean and everything is running.

Thank you for your help.

6 Replies

• Try 

1) Shutdown the libraries and the media server

2) Power up the libraries

3) Power up the media server

If the problem persists, test the libraries with the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.  Make sure that you stop all the BE services first and select the write test.

Also, post the error messages.

• Thank you. I have done what you suggested a few times. I have even deleted the two Tape Libraries out of the Device list. The devices come back properly and the tape slots are listing properly. The ADAMM error was on Sturday. I was a "move" error on the LTO Tape library. But there were about 10 backup jobs that ran properly after that.

I am restarting the server with all the Tape Libraries and Tape Drives removed from Backup Exec and Windows. I have also physically disconnected them. I am hoping that this will completely remove it from Backup Exec and then I can re-install the Libraries and Drives using the TapeInst.exe utility.

• Before you re-install the libraries using the tapeinst.exe utility, I would suggest that you test them with the manufacturer's diagnostic.  Are both libraries giving you problems or just one of them?

• Both libraries are having the same problem. I am going to bring them online 1 at a time to see if that works. I am getting ready to power up the server in a few minutes.

• If they are attached to the same interface card, it could be the card that is bad.

• The libraries are attached to 4 different fiber cards. I went through the process of getting both libraries installed on the server. Then I ran an Initialization of each job. This time it showed the status in the job of Server Paused. I toggled the Server to be Paused and then UnPaused. Now the jobs are working fine. I think it was the Server Paused issue all along. I just had some other errors that were "in the way". Oh well, now all my logs are clean and everything is running.

Thank you for your help.