Forum Discussion

DavanW
Level 3
13 years ago

Credential Check Failing. Stumped.

New install of Backup Exec 2012.  I am setting up new backup jobs, but having the credential check failing for Shadow Copy Components only.  The credential check is passing for all other resources such as local disks, utility partition, system state, etc.

I am using an active directory user account as the System Logon Account.

This AD account is a member of Domain Admins.

On each server with a remote agent the account is also a member of the local admins and local backup operators.  The remote agents are all running as Local System.

In my Default Domain GPO, I have added the following rights for this AD account:

Act as part of the operating system
allow logon locally
Backup files and directories
Create a token object
Logon as a batch job (Windows 2008 only)
Logon as a service
Manage auditing and security log
Restore files and directories
Take ownership of files and other objects

And I have made sure it is NOT added under:

Deny logon as a service
Deny logon as a batch

I have re-entered the username and password several times in the BE Logon Account Management.

I have even deleted the AD user account completely (in active directory users and computers), and re-created it.  Though with the same name as before...

I have even tried using my own enterprise admin account as the System Logon Account as a test, and still get the same credential check failing only on Shadow Copy Components.

I have exhausted all the support forums and articles via Google.  I don't know what else to try.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

• Hi

Is this the upgrade from previous version & you are doing credential test for upgraded job if that is the case I will suggest you to make new job & the select resources & then do credential test.Also  in BE 2012 you should not be seeing shadow copy component so even after making new job if you are seeing shadow copy in credential test  then please remove the server & readd it & then make new selection & it should be working fine

I had the same issue & in my case it is working fine

Thanks

6 Replies

• I've also killed all running antivirus, windows firewall/defender, etc. 

I've run Live Updates on the media server and the remote agents.

I've rebooted all servers involved.

Started/Stopped all associated services, both on the media server and the remote servers.

Made sure the Trust exists between remote agents and the media server.

I don't know what the hell else to try!

• Hi

Is this the upgrade from previous version & you are doing credential test for upgraded job if that is the case I will suggest you to make new job & the select resources & then do credential test.Also  in BE 2012 you should not be seeing shadow copy component so even after making new job if you are seeing shadow copy in credential test  then please remove the server & readd it & then make new selection & it should be working fine

I had the same issue & in my case it is working fine

Thanks

• Very interesting.  Yes this was the upgrade from 12.5, however I didn't save/restore anything.  I completely uninstalled 12.5 then installed 2012. However it did automatically detect and add the remote servers on its own.

I will attempt removing the remote servers, then re-add them.  I have already made sure they are running the latest version of the remote agent.

Thanks for the reply.  I will post back with my results.

• Thanks for all the help.  Removing the servers, then re-adding them solved the issue.  Shadow Copy no longer appears in the list of resources, and all credential checks are now passing.

• Hello, is there a suggested solution if the problem appears on the BE Server? Removing it is not an option, apparently.