Forum Discussion

legioon
Level 4
13 years ago

Deduplication Folder "in use" issue when no jobs are running...

Hello All,

I hate backupexec's problem ! i'm bored.. Always problem problem and there are no solutions..

This time i have deduplication folder problem and i have read some post but this is not solution  ;

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/deduplication-folder-keeps-showing-use-even-when-no-jobs-are-running

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125356

Deduplication folder was working succesfully for 1,5 month but suddenly i got an error about deduplucation folder. Deduplication folder is showing "in use" when no jobs are running.

Backupexec version 2010 R2 - Windows 2008 r2 x64 server and all backupexec hotfix has installed.

i'm using Windows Storage Server 2008 with ISCSI cable and we are using Windows ISCSI initiator... We have 5 TB LUN...

when i look deduplication folder status everything is seems ok, does not appear an error. so what is problem ????? i believe backupexec sometimes is joking with us, really i believe.. !

• I just got done with a support call and it turned out that my HP tape library had failed and was causing the services to lock up trying to communicate with it.  I shutdown the server and disconnected it and then the server was happy.  My tape library is in a different building and I couldn't see it.  Turns out that the power supply failed.  I just ignored that it was offline cause I don't use it much anymore and didn't think that it would affect the entire system.  Support did say too that in the future if I see the deduplication store as "In use" that there is a background process that runs once a week to clean up scratched dedup devices that it moves automatically to scratched media when it becomes overwrittable aagain.  So, when it's doing this, jobs may be queued or fail if it takes longer then your start window.

7 Replies

• Hi,

#1 - upgrade to BE 2010 R3 if you can...it fixes a number of issues with previous versions. Run LiveUpdate to install SP1 and the 3 patches out since its release. Check to see if this resolves it...

#2 - A faster resolution might be to open up BE, go to Devices, and right-click your server name and choose the option to Pause your server for a couple of seconds, and then Unpause it...

Post back with an update...

Thanks!

• Hi craigV, now i'm trying, i'll post after upgrade... thank you.

• I'm having the same issue....don't fret that you are the only one. :)  I've had this issue off and on for the past year since I updated to 2010 and dedup.  When it first happened I had just migrated back to Backup Exec and had only 1 months worth of backups, so I just deleted my dedup store and started over...  Now I have almost a year and a halfs worth of dedup data and backups.  Argh!!!. :) I'm currently downloading 2010 R3 SP1 and will attempt the update too....I'll write back when done.

Pausing the server didn't work.

• I just completed my upgrade, and it didn't fix this issue.  There are no jobs running and the dedup store still indicates that it is in use.  When jobs start they just queue up and never do anything or stall part way in.  Fun fun....  I'll have open a support case and then post back what happens.

• I just got done with a support call and it turned out that my HP tape library had failed and was causing the services to lock up trying to communicate with it.  I shutdown the server and disconnected it and then the server was happy.  My tape library is in a different building and I couldn't see it.  Turns out that the power supply failed.  I just ignored that it was offline cause I don't use it much anymore and didn't think that it would affect the entire system.  Support did say too that in the future if I see the deduplication store as "In use" that there is a background process that runs once a week to clean up scratched dedup devices that it moves automatically to scratched media when it becomes overwrittable aagain.  So, when it's doing this, jobs may be queued or fail if it takes longer then your start window.

• Hello craigV and Mherges, i have upgraded backupexec to R3 SP1 and i have installed all hotfix :) but it did not fix the issue.. i'm getting same error..

When i uncheck and after check enable option, "in use" is not showing, but job remains in the queue...i can not backup again.. i think to open case to symantec.

• Is your dedup folder in use all the time or just about 12:20am and 12:20pm each day?  The second set of timings is when the dedup folder undergoes maintenance.