Forum Discussion

JJ
Level 4
11 years ago

deleting old backups from d2d

Greetings,

Ive made a tape duplicate of an old d2d main backup to save space and now i need to get rid of the d2d copy. Im guessing its not as simple as deleting the virtual tapes or is it? and what if the virtual tapes had been appended to?

Thanks

James

• Hi,

Don't delete off the D2D itself. Rather navigate to the files within BE itself and erase the files. Once done, if the files haven't been deleted, you can do so.

Thanks!

• JJ

I am thinking you are backing up to a VTL and it has duplicated the data to a physical tape

To save space you have to simply erase the tape using an erase job

If you have appended the virtual tape after duplicating it to teh physical tape all the data appended is at a loss.

either wait for the appended data to be expired or erase the Virtual tape and regain your precious space!

6 Replies

• Hi,

Don't delete off the D2D itself. Rather navigate to the files within BE itself and erase the files. Once done, if the files haven't been deleted, you can do so.

Thanks!

• Thanks guys. How can i be sure that another backup i want to keep is not on these virtual tapes? Once ive deleted them off BE can i then physically delete the tapes from hard drive?

Cheers

James 

• ...no way to selectively delete information from tapes. It's an all-or-nothing approach. Unless you restore the data elsewhere, delete what you don't need and then back it up. This is a long-way around approach though.

Thanks!

• JJ

I am thinking you are backing up to a VTL and it has duplicated the data to a physical tape

To save space you have to simply erase the tape using an erase job

If you have appended the virtual tape after duplicating it to teh physical tape all the data appended is at a loss.

either wait for the appended data to be expired or erase the Virtual tape and regain your precious space!

• Thanks guys, all these anwers helped.