Forum Discussion

nPc
Level 4
13 years ago

Event ID 34327 - multiple ODBC Errors, Catalog issues

BE 2010 R3 After Hotfix 176937 was installed on April 12th, 2012, restarting BE (technically, BE Services) has resulted in a small cascade (22) of ODBC Access Errors in the Event Log, with IDs: 343...
    13 years ago

Without investigating the original cause of this problem, Symantec's Tech Support said the way to deal with this is to allow BE to create a new Catalog folder and move forward.  Since the ODBC errors do not appear to be causing any problems with the backup jobs, there is apparently little to worry about.

Somehow, that hotfix introduced errors into the Catalog folder.  But a brand new Catalog folder does not have those errors (I tested this).  It also doesn't have any older catalog information for my media, but c'est la vie, apparently.

The techie said that with any restore job you really want to run a "Catalog Media..." command on the media anyway before the restore, so the only thing I'm actually losing is the ability to view selection options for Restore jobs.

The process to rebuild the Catalog folder, for anyone that doesn't already know, is:

1. Stop all BE services

2. Rename the Catalog folder to "Catalog_old"

3. Restart BE services

-- a new Catalog folder will be created and you can move forward.

-- I suppose you can delete the Catalog_old folder at that point.  I'm not sure there would be a good reason to keep it around.

Thinking about it now, perhaps if I ran a Catalog Media job on all the media used between 4/12 and 4/16 --the period when the original ODBC errors were causing bad or no catalog information to be written to the Catalog folder--, this might all clear up.  Given the time that would take, I doubt I'll actually do that though. 

Onward.