Forum Discussion

Nene
Level 6
14 years ago

How to backup Exchange 2010 in a DAG environment

Hello guys,

i'm back with my queries as usual.

I'm really grateful to all those who have helped in the past.

Right now i need your help again.

i have a client who needs BE 2010 R2. I have been trying to get steps to backup the Exchange DAG in this forum for quite some time now. I have only seen issues pple have encountered.

below are a few questions.

1. The client has 1 CAS and 2 MBX in a DAG scenario.

2. how many Exchange Agent licenses need to be purchased?

3. Is there any special step i need to backup these Exchange servers?

4.  I believe there is, so i need steps to go about backing up the Exchange servers most especially in this DAG.

5. About Hyper-V when I try to backup another site running Hyper-V with 3 guests, the guest server crash and i have to rebuild the guests. Most the guest machine be powered off if i have to do a backup?

Thank you all for your anticipated responses.

• Hi ,

Nene, Yes it would be nice idea to do Full & differential backup into same folder, Only be aware that as said in above discussion you cannot do GRT backup for differential so may be for an instance if you are doing differential on weekdays & Full on Weekend this is only example & may be on tuesday one of the mailbox is corrupted & you need to restore it back so in that case you will have to configure recovery storage group & then restore last full bacup & the differential & then use exmerge after that & then get the mailbox back so the process is to big when you have to restore few email or mailbox in compare to that if you do GRT full & Incremental using policy with backupexec that will help you to do individual mailbox email restore quickly & also in your case backup are going to disk so would be good option

But yes if you know about that already & if you are ready to spend time while doing individual component restore then yes you can do full & differential bacup with backupexec

(Also one more thing when you differential backup for exchange transcation log are not set to purge by backupexec & when you do incremental transcation log are purged)

Thank You

18 Replies