Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument

I have contacted support concerning the following error message:

"Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument"

This message is triggered during the duplicate backup jobs process.

We currently are using BUE 11d and have a Dell PV-136T with 3 LTO2 tape drives. We installed 11d new and have configured the hardware drivers for the vault and tape drives to use the generic drivers:

- IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 SCSI - Symantec Corporation - 9/5/2006 - Driver ver 5.1
- Unknown Medium Changer - Microsoft - 10/1/2002 - Driver ver 5.2.3790.0

We have reset the hardware drivers a couple of times already. This error message keeps happening.

After doing some more troubleshooting, etc... support finally gave me the answer of the following via email:

Set copy backups of System State fail with the error "Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument" when done from one tape drive to another tape drive.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285385

Since the configuration we performed yesterday did not resolve the issue then we are only left with this conclusion.

It does require you to backup to disk which in turn requires another job to be created.
I am sorry this is the only known workaround.

I was wondering if anyone else had this same issue. Also I just wanted to say that what good is it to have a "duplicate tape backup option" when it doesn't work correctly. We rely on offsite tape backups to ensure that we can run our business correctly in case of a disaster.

Symantec has really let me down this time concerning this issue. I hope their support staff and developers can fix this issue or give me a better solution than having me copy full backups to disk then to tape. I will have to do double work to make these backups work correctly. This is ridiculous. This feature worked fine in version 10d and previous versions.

It seems at this time support is just giving us a lame answer on what to do with this issue. Fix this problem correctly before you release the next version or update.

I would really like to hear back from someone at Symantec regarding this.
Chris

1 Reply

• Hi Chris,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I confirmed that this is fixed in the next release. There are currently no plans to hotfix this for the current 11d build. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

Backup Exec for Windows Servers Free E-mail Support
    http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/email_forms/intro_emailsup.asp