Forum Discussion

15 years ago

Moving Database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005

Hello! We need to move our Backupexec 12.5 Database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. The sql server are in different domains with domain trust. We tried to use BEUtility but i always stop wit...
    15 years ago
    hi!

So finally after i spent 12  hours work i finished migrating backupexec to the new domain and sql server. (we also migrated ev 8.0 and our fileserver. it was not just BE ;-) )

We also have EV 8.0 installed on this server for file archiving so maybe some of the step are not needed if you only have backup exec installed.

OS = Win2k3 R2 sp2 32bit
    BE = 12.5 SP3

Here is what i did: (maybe this will help somebody have the some job to do)
    1.    First of all. Make a own instance for BE. I highly recommand to do this, because BE likes to restart SQL services and
           messing up with other database in the same instance
    2.    Stopping all BE services and changed them to manually startup
    3.    migrate the backupserver with admt computermigration (i used "Files and folders", "Local groups", "Registry", "Shares", "User Profiles" and "User rights"
    4.    Created in the new domain a new backup user (i made him domain admin) and added him to local admin group on the backupserver
    5.    Meanwhile you can make a backup of the database on the old server and restore it on the new one.
            If you restore the database make sure the filenames are identical to the old one. Otherwise BE won´t work
            In my case it was
            bedb_dat.mdf
            bedb_log.ldf
    6.    Add the new Backup user to have db_owner right to the BEDB
    7.    Open "Local Security Settings" on the Backupserver go to "Local Policies" - "User Rights Assignment"
           and add the new backup user to all places where i found the old one for example "Create a token object"
    8.    Open regedit on the backupserver and change following regkeys
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Adamm\Database Instance Name=new instance name
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Adamm\Database Server Name=new server name
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\Catalog Database Instance name=new instance name
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\Catalog Database Server Name=new server name
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\Server Database Instance Name=new instance name
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\Server Database Server Name=new server name
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\Server Database Log Path= new path name
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\Server Database Path= new path name
    9.    Change all servcies backup to automatic and start them
    10.  Checking all backup jobs and changing Logon Accounts.

One Warning message is left.
    it is in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\dbrecover.log

Message is:
    File Exist Check: D:\Microsoft SQL Server_BE\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\DATA\master$4idr
    File Exist: FALSE
    WARNING: One or more of the following backup files are missing:
    -> D:\Microsoft SQL Server_BE\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\DATA\master$4idr
    -> D:\Microsoft SQL Server_BE\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog$4idr
    -> D:\Microsoft SQL Server_BE\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\DATA\model$4idr
    -> D:\Microsoft SQL Server_BE\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\DATA\modellog$4idr

As far as i can see there is no problem. Maybe database maintenance job will fix this.

I didn´t used the BEUtility because it didn´t worked well for me and as far as i can see it has a bug that it writes the wrong path name for the log file into the registry and
    don´t finish sucessfully.