Forum Discussion

pkokkinis
Level 3
13 years ago

How can I rename a tape after it backed up - without erasing.

I have BackupExec 2012 and need to rename the Friday3 tape to 2Q2012 but don't know how. The tape has already been shipped offsite. In prior versions of BE, I went to the Media tab, right clicked res...
    13 years ago

Did some more research and talked to symantec tech support (always helpful by the way). Here's what I found in case it could help anyone else reading this post:

There's a difference between re-name and re-label.

Re-name is a simple right-click process that requires the media in BE2012 (but not in pre-BE2012 versions). You change the name, then click Apply. The Apply button is grayed out unless it sees the tape in the drive. This process is described in Article: HOWTO73328

Re-label is a job-creating process that also requires the media in BE2012 (and pre-BE2012 versions). You create the job, it does destroy all data on media, and re-labels it. This process is described in Article:    HOWTO73449

Thanks to you both for responding above and mentioning 73328. I'm a little bummed that I need the media with 2012 to re-name, but there's bigger problems to solve.