Forum Discussion

11 years ago

multiple media servers but want one shared SQL database instance

I'm looking for a straightforward path to a solution. I'm almost completely positive that I can achieve this with BackupExec 2010, but trying to pick my way through 2,000 pages of administrator's ...
    11 years ago

Hi there

In a CASO/ESO/SSO environment even though a lot of the handling for all MBE/MMS jobs is done by the database on the CASO itself, the individual MBE/MMS servers still need their own databases even though they are not used as much.

Unfortunately BE requires that the database itself is called BEDB on each media server, whilst you can use different instance names. What this means is that you can't put all the Backup Exec databasess into one instance, although you can run multiple separate SQL instances on one Windows server and point each media server at a specific instance during the install. 

EDIT: I believe we may have been asked for enhancements regarding this before, however it may be worth you subnitting an "Idea" via the Create Content --> Ideas section of the forums. We treat Ideas as enhancement requests and ideas also have a voting system for us to judge the requirement

EDIT2: This comment applies to all versions of BE, i.e.BEDB being a required name for the database has not changed as we changed the versions