Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Remote Agent will not connect

After upgrading to 11d. One of our remote agents will not connect to back up and will not connect when you try to select the box in the backup selection screen. All agents where updated when the Backup server was.

It simply says connection cannot be established.

The server in question is the domain controller / sql server for another domain which has a nic on the primary domains network and an ip address in the primary network. Netstat shows the agent listening on the ndmp / 10000 port. telnetting to it produces a response but any attempt inside backup exec says it cannot connect.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the remote agent to no avail. This was working fine under 10d of course.

10 Replies

• The best method to troubleshooting this issue is to look at the more detailed connection attempt results in a debug of the Job Engine on the media server. To generate a debug:

To put the Backup Exec Job Engine into Debug Mode please do the following:

1. Stop the "Backup Exec Job Engine" Service. this can be done by going to the Start Menu and going to the Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools Menu and selecting Services
    2. double click on the "Backup Exec Job Engine" Service, and from the "General" tab locate the "Start up Parameters" input field
    3. in the input field type the following "-debug" (do not include the quotation marks)
    4. Select the start button to start the service in debug mode.
    5. A -bengine debug log will be created in the Backup Exec\Logs directory

Also, for the telnet session to the Remote Agent itself (this may sound silly), but did you see a smiley face & a heart? If so, then your connection to the RA was good.
  • Yes, actually what I got was �$☺E╟�∙☻♥ which of course ends in the smiley face and heart! So It looks like the problem lies on the server side not the remote side... or at least its not actually a connection problem which is what the server is saying it is... I will try the debug steps and see what I get.
  • > Yes, actually what I got was
    > ?$☺E╟?∙☻♥ which of
    > course ends in the smiley face and heart! So It
    > looks like the problem lies on the server side not
    > the remote side... or at least its not actually a
    > connection problem which is what the server is saying
    > it is... I will try the debug steps and see what I
    > get.

I just ran a test backup to see if the log generated anything ad the actual backup job worked!!! It was able to actually backup the pre-existing selection list. However, it still gives me the error message now if I attempt to browse the server in the backup selection screens. ... could not establish a connection.
  • Hmmmm, then this could be one of those doctor jokes... You know, 'it hurts when I lift up my arm like this...'

All joking aside, try running SGMon (in Symantec\Backup Exec) right before you are about to browse that selection and turn on all the checkboxes. Also, can you describe exactly which part of the selection browse window you are expanding within? And what does the text view of the pre-existing selection show? Is it possible the credentials you are using to browse are different that the credentials already setup for the pre-existing selection?
  • Iam expanding under View By Resource ..

All Resources... Domains ... WebDomain. The ony server there is the Producton SQL Data Server. if you click on it, get the hourglass, then the cannot establish a connection message.

FYI the nightly job failed again ... connection could not be establihed (of course i had turned off the -debug option on the job engine!) Even though the test job was successfull?

I just attempted the file selection again with the sgmon running and it revealed what appears to be the problem.. somehow the backup server is getting the ip address of the other nic in the database server and attempting to connect to that... which it cannot physically reach... know of a way to specify to the backup agent which nic it uses / publishes to the backup server?
  • Open up Backup Exec
    Navigate to Tools | Options | Network and Security
    Then go to the Interface drop-down box and select �Local Area Connection�
    Then go to the Subnet drop-down box and select the appropriate subnet
  • Forgot to mention this... The steps I gave in the last reply were for affecting all future created jobs. To change existing jobs you will obviously need to change the Network setting for the job in question.
  • > Open up Backup Exec
    > Navigate to Tools | Options | Network and Security
    > Then go to the Interface drop-down box and select
    > ?Local Area Connection?
    > Then go to the Subnet drop-down box and select the
    > appropriate subnet

There is no such menu on the agent side. (Which is where the problem is orignatng) from what I'mreadng in the kb turning off the publishing should fix the problem .. however the info is cached on the backup server... know of any way to clear this cached remote agent informaton on the server? The kb is drawing a blank on that topic...
  • Actually, you need to specify the network for BEWS to use on the media server side. Those options are in the Tools > Options area as well as in the job settings themselves. The publishing simply tells the media server what networks the Remote agent is on.
  • Same issue as above. Logged into the Windows Server 2003 Backup server I can telnet to port 10000 on my RedHat Enterprise Linux client. I get the heart and the smiley face. However, when attempting to connect through the Backup Exec gui, I get the red X. "Failed to access Linux server Logon account: System Logon Account. Access is denied. So why am I not searching for a Windows Server solution? A very good reason. I have 15 Linux clients and 2 of them are connecting perfectly. I have tried tweaking /etc/services with the result that /opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote --log-console shows the same error on the servers that are connecting successfully as those that aren't. I have confirmed that /etc/pam.d /etc/selinux and /etc/sysconfig/iptables are configured the same on all the servers (the ones that don't work same as the two that work). Some of them have ipv6 loaded, some don't. I need help getting the agent to connect to the Windows server. The installations of BEWS_12.5.2213_LINUX-SAP_AGENTS.tar.gz are identical on all the linux machines, including the rpms.