Forum Discussion

bsnbackup
Level 3
13 years ago

Restore from renamed server

I did a migration/upgrade to Backup Exec 2012. Here are the details:

• Server WAS Windows 2003/Backup Exec 12.5
  • Wiped server, renamed it, installed Windows 2008 R2/Backup Exec 2012
  • Copied Data and Catalog folder to newly upgraded server pre Symantec's instructions

Now I am trying to restore some data that was backed up from the server before renaming and I can see the data in the catalog but when I try to redirect to a new folder I created, I get an "Invalid Storage Device" error. What do I need to do to recover this data?

• Our Library Expansion Option had expired. In the 2012 version, the software knows this and would not allow me to restore without it. We ordered it and I am restoring from older tapes right now. The directory structure is not being recreated properly, some folders are missing but all of the files are there. All is well.

6 Replies

• I don't know what instructions you are following, but the storage devices have been changed in BE 2012.

If your backup data is in a B2D folder, you would need to import the B2D folder as a legacy B2D folder, inventory and catalog it before you can do a restore.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

• The instructions I was given came from a Symantec support ticket. See below.

Please follow the below step to take a backup of Catalog and Data Folder

1. Stop BE Services. including SQL(BKUPEXEC) service
    2. go to \\ Drive Letter \Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec .
    3. copy Folder Catalog and Data Folder
    4. Start the BE Services including the SQL Services

The Data and Catalog folder will be enough as you are going for migration as Backup .

I can see the "defunct" server in the server list and I have found the data I need to restore. When I attempt to restore the data I get the error I mentioned in my first post. BUExec "sees" the data, it just won't let me restore it.

• Have you gone back to Support and tell them that the given procedure gives this error?

I suspect your problem is that your old B2D folders are not properly converted when you do the given procedure.  Maybe you got to do it the hard way and follow the procedure in my document.

• The data is on LTO tapes, not B2D folders. Yes, I have a ticket open with Symantec.

• Have you tried deleting one of your tapes, re-cataloging it and then restoring from it?

Alternatively, on the Storage tab, click on the tape and the backup that you want, and then duplicate it to disk.  Then try to restore for this duplicate.

• Our Library Expansion Option had expired. In the 2012 version, the software knows this and would not allow me to restore without it. We ordered it and I am restoring from older tapes right now. The directory structure is not being recreated properly, some folders are missing but all of the files are there. All is well.