Forum Discussion

SaikS
Level 3
15 years ago

Restore /Import catalogs for BE 12.5

Hi,

I am new here and need pointers in the right direction to solve my problem. I had a Windows Server 2003 Std R2 that crashed last week. I have lost every thing. I have now built a new new server (same version) with the same server name. I did a fresh install on Backup Exec 12.5 (previous version was 12.5) and sucessfully ran two backups.

I now need to restore the old catalogs back to the new server so that if I need to do a restore on some tapes then I dont have to do an Inventory and wait long hours during the catalog-ing period.

Could someone please show me a much easier way of sorting this problem out.

Thank you

SaikS
  • If yuo have a backup of the \Catalogs folder, restore that to the new server (after inventorying and cataloging the tape that contains if)

then

1. Stop the Backup Exec Services.
    2. Open a command prompt on the media server
    3. Change the directory to the Backup Exec installation directory:
        \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec
    4. Type the follow and then press Enter:
        catrebuildindex -r
    5. After the process completes restart all of the Backup Exec Services on the media server.

2 Replies

• Hello 

Since you have lost all the data you will have to catalog all the tapes, unless the catalogs are not generated you will not able to restore.

If in case you have a backup of the catalogs folder then we can import the old catalogs in the new installation.

If not then you will have to perform an inventory of all the tapes and then catalog to media.
  • If yuo have a backup of the \Catalogs folder, restore that to the new server (after inventorying and cataloging the tape that contains if)

then

1. Stop the Backup Exec Services.
    2. Open a command prompt on the media server
    3. Change the directory to the Backup Exec installation directory:
        \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec
    4. Type the follow and then press Enter:
        catrebuildindex -r
    5. After the process completes restart all of the Backup Exec Services on the media server.