Forum Discussion

ChrisB101
Level 2
14 years ago

Restoring a Complete Server from a Backup

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully somebody can help me here, I have a Windows 2008 SBS server with Backup Exec 12.5 installed. Everynight we do a full backup of the C:\ which includes Exchange DB, Sharepoint, Flat Files, system state etc

Fingers crossed this never happens but if the server OS should ever fail how can we restore the server setup as it was from the backup. Is there a method of restoring the whole AD and Exchange config from our full backup? Would we have to re-install SBS2008 on a fresh box and then restore the system state etc or is there a method that you could boot from a symantec disk, access the storage and restore the full backup?

Has anyone experie4nce of this or know hows a disaster restore could be perfomred with our software?

Thanks

Chris

3 Replies

• You can not backup Exchange and other high availability application by just backing up the C drive and all its subfolders.

In order to backup and protect your Exchange, you need to backup your exchange under Microsoft Information Store entry under the server name.

Considering that you are backing up C drive, System State and Exchange (Microsoft Information Store) and if the server crashes, you will have to install the OS and the same SP which was present before the crash, install Backup Exec, catalog all the tapes and then run a restore of C drive and system state first.

Once the restore of the C drive and system state completes, install Exchange again with Disaster recovery switch (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998848(EXCHG.80).aspx , http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17712 ) and then restore Exchange databases using Backup Exec.

For more information about Disaster Recovery of SBS 2008, you can go through http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87893.

If this answers your question, please mark it as sollution

• Hi Nimish,

Thanks for your reply. As it is SBS2008 with the SBS version of Backup exec we are backing up Exchange through the correct Agent. I understand that you cant just select the flat files.

Can you install Exchange on SBS2008 seperatly or does it come pre-installed?

So aslong as we backup Exchange through the correct agent and the system state we should be ok. I'll review the documentation in the link you sent over.

Thanks for your help

Chris

• I know that the Admin Guide can be a little daunting,  but pull it out and read through the sections "preparing for disaster recovery" and "disaster recovery for a domain controller"

Every thing you need to know or consider will be in those two sections.  After that, if you have any questions, come on back.

(I know, too, that in a typical SBS environment, you don't have a spare server sitting around, but if at all possible it is a good idea to practice Distaster Recovery without having to worry about the boss breathing down your neck)