Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Snap Shot Backups

Hello all,

I was reading a post in here about snap shot backups. I was going to reply to it but it seems to have been idel for more than 6 months so I was informed to create a new post...sorry.

Basically I am running version 2010 r2 on a Win 2003 server.

One of the servers I am backing up is Win 2008.

I am getting snap shot backups...and AOFO is NOT checked.

The post I read leads me to believe that the only way the backup job will

backup snaps is if this option is checked....

"So why am I backing up snaps and not normal Diff's or Full backups like the other servers with this option NOT checked?"

The 2008 server is a file server and I have been looking at the backup jobs and I am not so

confident that the Snaps contain data that has changed...could just be me...

So in light of the 1st question my 2nd is this....

Are Snaps my best option or are the standard old school normal backups my best option.

This is the 1st time in 10 years I have had to look at this since it seems that the 2008 server

is the only thing this is happening to.

Normally I do the old school Diff's and Full backups.

I just want to be sure for this company it is the best way to go.

• Is your Server 2008 machine a VM?  If so, then the snapshots are something else.

I will assume that your Server 2008 machine is a normal physical machine, in which case, the snapshots that you are talking about are VSS snapshots.  These snapshots are used to "freeze" the disk so that BE can backup files which are opened when the backup is being done.  This is the normal process during a backup, take snapshot and backup.  You don't have to worry about it.

1 Reply

• Is your Server 2008 machine a VM?  If so, then the snapshots are something else.

I will assume that your Server 2008 machine is a normal physical machine, in which case, the snapshots that you are talking about are VSS snapshots.  These snapshots are used to "freeze" the disk so that BE can backup files which are opened when the backup is being done.  This is the normal process during a backup, take snapshot and backup.  You don't have to worry about it.