Forum Discussion

Nqabeni
Level 2
10 years ago

SQL Express 2008 r2 failing to install

Good People, This is a very frustrating moment for me. I am installing Backup Exec 15 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with AD and Exchange deployed on the same machine. I have run the environment assessment successfully.When I attempt to install Backup Exec the installation fails at the Install SQL Server Express stage. The vxLogServer Generated log files return: "Failed to install BackupExec instance with error -2147024893.To search for information about this error click here" And the link is empty under Symantec site. The sqlsetup.log returns one specific error:" Attempting to run workflow componentupdate" "Attempting to launch process f:\7cxxxxxxxxx\x86\setup100.exe" "process returned exit code: 0x000000" "Workflow componeUpdate returned exit code: 0x000000" The detail_componentupdate.log returns: "Running Action: PostMSiTimingConfigAction.The object state property Workflow' is null/empty.Error: Action 'PostMSiTimingConfigAction' failed during execution" My head is aching this was supposed to be a simple install now this.Any ideas?
  • I have tried both ways before posting to this forum. I tried installing the Slip Stream SQL Server directly and also installing through the BE DVD. The SQL Server Express installation still fails

8 Replies

• Is this a fresh install or an upgrade?  Also Windows Server 2008 R2 should be updated to SP1 if it isnt already.

• Use the BE installation DVD and install the SQL 2008 Express first, then proceed with the BE installation.

• Thank you for your response lmosla.It is a fresh install.I have run Windows updates.I have uninstalled and re-installed Dotnetframework and nothing seems to work.The SQL Server Express fails.
  • In addition to the above comment, are you installing it locally or remotely (via mstsc ) ? If remotely, do ensure Admin Shares are enabled.

Lastly, if both suggestions do not help, pls attach the complete BE and SQL install logs. Thanks.

• I have tried both ways before posting to this forum. I tried installing the Slip Stream SQL Server directly and also installing through the BE DVD. The SQL Server Express installation still fails

• You need to use a domain admin account to do the install. You are running into all kinds of security problems
  • In addition to the above, reset the .NET permissions from the cmd :-

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -machine -reset

You may have to substitute the appropriate version number as per the path on your server.