Forum Discussion

Steve_4
Level 4
11 years ago

Tape Drive Error "You have loaded a cartridge of a type that is read-only in this drive".

Hi all,

Recently I swapped a Dell Powervault TL2000 LTO-4 with an LTO-6 TL2000 including LTO-6 Tape Drives.

I duplicated the settings between the two devices
I duplicated the virtual settings of the drive etc in backup exec
I performed an Inventory and initialized the drives
I updated the firmware on the library and drives

The first 2-3 backups ran fine.

Then I started getting the error: "You have loaded a cartridge of a type that is read-only in this drive".

From what I can gather it appears that the backup job is placing any tape to be placed in the drive immediately under the media set which places a one week overwrite protection over the tape.

I then placed every tape under scratch media...nothing.

One other thing to add is that 4 of the tapes currently say (End marker Unreadable)
Although, these tapes are not being used in the failing jobs as I have checked the slots etc.

We currently have no backups running at this point so any help greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Steve

• The "insert overwritable tape" message indicates that you do not have sufficient overwritable tape for you job.  This is another problem pertaining to your media sets.

You can put your LTO4 tape drive into your library, but you would need an LEO licence in BE to operate it.

If you do put in your LTO4 tape drive, you need to set up your barcode rules for

LTO4 - read LTO4, LTO3, LTO2, write LTO4, LTO3

LTO6 - read LTO6, LTO5, LTO4, write LTO6, LTO5

LTO tape drives read 2 generation back and write to 1 generation back.

As an aside, I don't know why you bought LTO5 tapes when you have a LTO6 tape drive.  When you read and write a LTO5 tape with a LTO6 tape drive, you will get slower performance.

12 Replies