Forum Discussion

13 years ago

The end marker is unreadable

I'm facing an strange p'blem angryn some tapes.

Please does someone knows why i'm getting this message?

Erreur: The end marker is unreadable.

Thanx for your help

• (Spun off a new thread)

Generally this happens when the job ends abnormally and BackupExec cannot write the markers associated with normal termination

You will need to re-label the tape (and lose whatever data is currently on it) to be able to use this volume again 

7 Replies

• (Spun off a new thread)

Generally this happens when the job ends abnormally and BackupExec cannot write the markers associated with normal termination

You will need to re-label the tape (and lose whatever data is currently on it) to be able to use this volume again 

• Thank your for your prompt reply.

I didn't re-label both tapes but i change them with new tapes.

Is that mean i can't use the data currently on them if somthing happe ?

Greeting from France

• You should  be able to restore from them except perhaps the last file on the tape.  Try a sample restore from the catalog to test this

But to use them to write new data, you will have to re-label them.  the new tapes should be accepted for all your backups

• Dear Sir:

Please check the properties of the Tape Drive and of each of your "end marker..." tapes, to see if they have soft or hard read or write errors.

If they do, and the numbers exceed the 100s or the 1000s, either your tapes are faulty or the tape drive is slowly damaging them. This you can verifiy by getting a new tape and running a backup job and checking the errors after the job, on the new tape. For the drive you can previously reset the cleaning statistics in properties.

I would suggest to copy the jobs on the "end marker tapes..." with a duplicate to another location such as disk, and log erasing them to get them fresh and without errors. But first, check what I metioned above.

Regards,

• Agree with Carlos' recomendation to Duplicate the data off that/those tapes to other tapes or to Disk, but don't think that read/write errors will help you diagnose the problem.  Dirty/Bad heads or the drive going bad normally result in CRC errors, not "end marker unreadable"

Also see

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50884

Loss of network connection during the backup of a remote resource causes a tape to be marked as unappendable (End Marker Unreadable).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH37091

Tape Media is marked as "Not appendable (End Marker Unreadable)" if the Backup Exec Job Engine stops during a backup.

• I just had a tape drive failure and all jobs that failed due to the drive failure had "end marker tapes..."