Forum Discussion

VMF
Level 4
13 years ago

trouble installing BE 2010 r3

im trying to install a BE 2010 r3 sp1 on a freshly built 2008 R2 x64 server that is a member of the domain.

when i get to the server account step and i provide domain account credentials, i get "unable to authenticate with the user and password information given for domain\user".

it works fine in the test domain that has same gpos applied but fails in the prod env. i even disabled all GPOs and FW for the OU where the server resides. still the same error. i tried running the installer on the DC just to see if it will work, still the same error. im at a loss right now as to why it is not authenticating. any insight will be appreciated

• ok i found what was causing this. looking at evenid 4625 having subtype 0xc0000418 lead me to conclusion that DC is blocking NTLM.  original GPOs were restricing all but NTLM v2 and apparently BE, being in the 2010 r3 release still needs original very unsecure NTLM , which is a security flaw. i removed the gpo but not having policies defined is not enough for windows. since it kept ntlm blocked. i had to explicitly allow ALL kinds of incoming/outgoing ntlm traffic in the gpo to get BE installer to authenticate successfully.

35 Replies