Forum Discussion

brownr26
Level 2
12 years ago

View e-mail content

I need some advice from BackupExec experts.  I have a final backup of an Exchange 2003 server from two years ago.  The backup is intact and apparently was done using GRT.  I can drill down to individual messages.

My client is asking to restore one of the mailboxes for review (legal reasons).  Because there is no longer an Exchange 2003 server available, I was wondering if there is any way to view the content of those messages?  What I am trying to avoid is creating a new Exchange 2003 server, creating a RSG and then restoring one mailbox to be pulled out to a PST.  Does anyone know of a more efficient method of achieving this goal?

Thank you,

Robert Brown

• Hi Robert,

If you were using BE 2012, this would be easy. You'd simply restore the mails to a *.pst and pick it up once done.

Since you're not, it gets a bit more complicated. You can duplicate the Information Store to disk which gives you the flat files making up your Information Store. Once done, use something like Kernel for Exchange to pull those mails out into *.psts. It is a 3rd party product that has to be licensed, but having used it a couple of times, it works well.

If you don't know how to duplicate-to-disk, check my article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

4 Replies

• Hi Robert,

If you were using BE 2012, this would be easy. You'd simply restore the mails to a *.pst and pick it up once done.

Since you're not, it gets a bit more complicated. You can duplicate the Information Store to disk which gives you the flat files making up your Information Store. Once done, use something like Kernel for Exchange to pull those mails out into *.psts. It is a 3rd party product that has to be licensed, but having used it a couple of times, it works well.

If you don't know how to duplicate-to-disk, check my article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

• Craig,

Awesome article!!!  I only have two quick questions for you.  The backup is of an information store and server that have been retired.  Will this still be possible when the original backup job, Exchange server and information store no longer exist?

Thank you for taking the time to help,

Robert Brown

• Hi

If Backup of Information store is by GRT way then once you duplicate job from tape to disk , You will see IMG folder created & in that you will see EDB database for exchange.

When doing duplicate job yes eventhough exchange server is not there will not make a difference

Thanks

• Doesn't matter...it is the flat-files you are after at the end of the day. You're not restoring that mail to an Exchange server; just using a 3rd party application (and not BE 2012) to pull the information out.