Forum Discussion

Alan_Essex
Level 2
15 years ago

What happens if you need to change a tape drive ?

Backups have worked fine for years with version 10 but recently jobs have been consistently failing - the standard failure message implying either poor media/hardware etc. I replaced first with n...
    15 years ago
    Hi Alan,

As a rule of thumb, when I replace a drive in an autoloader, even the same type, I do the following:

1. Do a rescan of devices in Device Manager.
    2. In Backup Exec, run the Device Wizard and install the drivers for your device. Select the options to delete devices that no longer exist, as well as the option to install drivers. This will delete the drive you have removed, and load the drivers for your new drive.
    3. Restart BEWS services.
    4. pop in a tape, and run an Inventory, and then an erase to check communication. Once done, run a small backup. This all tests whether or not BEWS can connect and use the drive.
    5. Go into your jobs and make sure they're pointing at the new device. When you remove a drive and replace it, BEWS will automatically increment it...so your original HP1 will become HP2 as it's a new device. This will cause errors with your backups when they point to the original drive as HP1.

Let me know how it goes!

Laters!