Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Writing deduplicated data to tape

Hello.

I have a short question about BE 2012.

There are data, that I have deduplicated by Windows Server 2012 Standart(File and Storage Services -> Volumes -> Configure Data Deduplication).

What will result if I write this data to tape by Symantec Backup Exec? Will this information restored to it original form before it will be writed?

I have figured out, that I have got the e000fe36 error because this windows-deduplication was running at the same time.

Now I am thinking about to use the windows-deduplication, but at time, when I haven`t a write to tape job.

Do anybody know, how would this work?

Thanks a lot

• Nope, but the concept of dedupe is the same across the board. Deduped data is rehydrated when being backed up to non-deduped storage.

The same holds true when backing up to a BE dedupe folder and then duplicating to tape...data gets rehydrated.

Thanks!

• Whilst it is rehyrdated to store it on tape, usually the buigger problem is when you want to restore as they way the restore will work is that the full size of the file will be restored and then Windows Deduplication has to be forced to deduplicate the file again.

As such if your volume usage is currently that the non-deduplicated versions of the files would not fit on the volume and you restore all the files then the volume will fill up and the restore will fail. In this situation you would have to plan to restore some of the files, run a dedup now command against the volume and then restore the rest (possibly in multiple steps)

5 Replies

• Hi,

Any deduplicated data is automatically rehydrated to tape...so it's going to inflate to the original size and take longer to do so.

Thanks!

• Thank you!

Do you have used windows deduplication and symantec BE before?

Is it Best Practice?

• Nope, but the concept of dedupe is the same across the board. Deduped data is rehydrated when being backed up to non-deduped storage.

The same holds true when backing up to a BE dedupe folder and then duplicating to tape...data gets rehydrated.

Thanks!

• If your Windows server with dedup'ed volume is a VM then for GRT to work, the media server needs to have the same or higher OS and must have the Windows dedup feature enabled
  • Whilst it is rehyrdated to store it on tape, usually the buigger problem is when you want to restore as they way the restore will work is that the full size of the file will be restored and then Windows Deduplication has to be forced to deduplicate the file again.

As such if your volume usage is currently that the non-deduplicated versions of the files would not fit on the volume and you restore all the files then the volume will fill up and the restore will fail. In this situation you would have to plan to restore some of the files, run a dedup now command against the volume and then restore the rest (possibly in multiple steps)