Forum Discussion

11 years ago

VCS Service group configuration

Hello Guys,

Need some explanation and clarification here.

I have two systems installed with windows server 2008 R2.

The both server currently have two hard drives the C drive and an E drive.

The E drive on the both systems are currently connected via iscsi from a NAS.

Names of the both system are winsvr1 and winsvr2

Both systems are guest virtual machines configured on hyper V.

Name of the E drive on both systems are STU (E:)

Now i have SQL server 2008 installed on both systems.

I also have three virtual network cards with various ip addresses on them on both systems.

The binaries are installed on the C drive while the following were installed on the E drive(MSSQL, data, logs, jobs etc)

Now i have also installed VCS 6.0.1 on one of the systems(winsvr1) and i am trying to configure the service group to start on that system before

replicating the same thing to winsvr2 and then configuring the failover.

See attached also what is started up on my services.msc..... what should be put on manual or stopped.

Now on trying to configure the vcs i am trying to use the tools>configuration wizard and also trying to choose a template and modify the template.

Now i see so much on sql 2008 on the templates which one do i take and what next should i really do to get this service group online and working.

I am basically stuck on what next to do to get the service group started.

16 Replies

• Hi Chukwuemeka,

What you are configuring is a Replicated Data Cluster.  It is starting to become a more common configuration.

winsvr1 would need to be reinstalled so that the Master database files are in the same location as used on winsvr2.  I don't really think you need to do anything with winsvr2 from the sounds of the installation there.

Please open a support case if you need more direct assistance with this configuration.

Thank you,

Wally Heim

• Hello guys this is where i am now and need some clarification.

Winsvr1 and winsvr2 are 2 virtual machines and they are both single node cluster.

No form of storage is being shared here, the replication is going to be done by VVR.

winsvr1 has already SFWHA installed and SQL installed as directed by the admin guide.

Winsvr1 SQL binaries installed on C then other data files installed on E drive as directed on the guide.

As stated earlier they both have other drives connected to them via scsi on the vmware platform.

Now on winsvr2, i have also installed SFWHA and like the admin guide directed i installed both the SQL binaries, data files, logs etc on the local C drive so as not to have the same path with the winsvr1 server.

Somewhere on the admin guide i saw this and need some more clarification.

Note: In a non-shared storage configuration, installation of SQL Server on
    additional systems is not applicable. ...
    page 181.......SFW_HA_DR_SQL2008_Solutions_6.0.1.pdfSFW_HA_DR_SQL2008_Solutions_6.0.1.pdf

Because in my own scenario i see my storage as non-shared storage configuration.
  •  

Hello guys,

Thank you for all your comments.

I have been able to sort this out with support team.

Closing this for now.

•  

Hello Guys,

Basically how it was resolved, 

I started with the template SQLServer2008-VMNSRVGGroup did all the editing making reference to the vcs simulator SQL_DR configuration.

Then with the help of support the missing values were added to the RVG resource and replication of the database was also configured before i was able to start up the sql service group and fail it over to the second node of the global cluster configuration.

Anyone that needs any deeper information can let me know i would be glad to share it.

thanks