Forum Discussion

be-nugget
Level 5
13 years ago

ADMbxFlags in ExchangeMailboxEntry table

We have a number of users who were previously disabled in AD and have since been enabled and have had a archive provisioned and enabled.

We are unable to archive these users as when I check the ADMbxFlags in ExchangeMailboxEntry table these users have an entry of 2 which means they are disabled in AD when they are not. 

I have tried re-running the synchronisation task (which i know runs twice a day) and this fails to update the value of the ADMbxFlag to 0. There are no event log messages to inidicate this has failed.

I know I can add the relevant reg keys to process hidden and disabled mailboxes but this doesnt change the fact the values are not updating when the AD accounts are enabled.

Does anyone know of a reason why this table is not being updated to reflect AD?

• You could manually update the value to 0 instead of setting the registry key.

Not sure why it isn't updated, though.  Maybe ping support to see if it is a known issue?

9 Replies

• You could manually update the value to 0 instead of setting the registry key.

Not sure why it isn't updated, though.  Maybe ping support to see if it is a known issue?

• Tony, I have read that changing the value manually will eventually reset back to a 2 value when synchronisation next occurs so obviously I am looking to find the root cause.  I may need to engage support but just interested if this is a known quirk or issue.

• well if its genuinely enabled in AD then it shouldn't set it to 2
    I think where that idea comes from is when you want to archive a disabled mailbox, and then you run the reg changes and sql changes and it works for that bit, but then when provisioning runs again, it reads AD and see's that its disabled and sets it back to a 2

However thats if the mailbox genuinely is disabled, but from the sounds of it (unless i've misunderstood), these were disabled mailboxes that have been re-enabled within AD, so if you set it like tony said, when it runs again it won't change it because it will see its been enabled.

That is unless you are hitting a GC that is out of step with the other GC's and see's the account as still disabled etc

• One of the many accounts that has a flag value of 2 is not disabled in AD on either of the domain controllers and hasnt been for some time now. So EV is failing to update the values in SQL for some reason.  Nothing in the event logs I can see.

Stumped.

• The task responsible for updating the EME table is the provisioning task and not the synchronization. Did you check that provisioning runs fine? You might want to increase the report level to "full" in the provisioning task's settings, run it via "Run now" and check the report file created in \Reports\Exchange Provisioning for the entry/entries of the specific mailbox.

Furthermore make sure that the provisioning task is not set to run in Debug mode (also set in the properties). When you perform the "run now" do this in "normal mode", otherwise it will not perform any changes.

• Provisioning task is running fine.

I guess the problem is something to do with the first time it reads the account has been disabled it marks it with a flag of 2 but when the account has been re-enabled it fails to then go an update to a 0.

Provisiong task is not in report mode nor is there anything in the reports.

• so just as a matter of interest, what happens if you change it yourself per tonys suggestion?
    Does it switch back to being disabled?

• I haven't had chance to try switching this value back manually to see if it stays or find out why this isn't being updated automatically.  I suspect this maybe a bug in version 9.0 and maybe fixed in a service pack revision which is inevitably on the cards soon.

When and if I have more info I will try and post.