Forum Discussion

ianG
Level 5
14 years ago

Archiving of Exchange calendar items

I was recently asked, 'why dont we archive calendar items?', and I went to check a few things (how to go about doing so), I found that when I go into the mailbox policy there is actually a checkmark beside IPM.Appointment (Calendar Items)... does that mean we actually are archiving calendar items?

Looking through my own calendar (which has the above policy applied to it), I dont see any difference in very old items, and theres no noticble delay in the recall of them.

Any way to confirm we are? Or is the configuration of calendar items for archiving more indepth then just the checkbox above?

If we're not archiving calendar items, I guess my next question is, should we be? Anything to watch for, or any gotchas?

• Ian, that's correct. The space saving in the mailbox is just the removal of the attachments

6 Replies

• Possibly should have searched prior to the post...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337000.htm

appears calendar items no longer eligible for archiving as of EV8sp3

Pretty much answers everything I had above..!

• Calendar items are definitely eligible for archiving. The change is that we no longer convert items into a standard EV shortcut as that would mean that the calendar item no longer behaves as a calendar item in Outlook

When calendar items are archived the item still appears to be the same, but if it has attachments then they are stripped from the Outlook copy and retained in the archive instead. There is a policy setting in Policies > Exchange > Mailbox > policy > Advanced which controls the stripping behaviour (Strip attachments to non-shortcut items)

Note that calendar items that occur in the future or have not expired (recurring appointments) are not archived by default. Policy settings also apply for handling those items

• Thanks Nick, I had since found a fair bit more on the subject alright, and was a bit rash with my second post above blush

Happy to hear this though. It looks then that the space savings would just be limited to the archival of attachments? We dont currently, and have no plans to, start automatically deleting shortcuts (which I believe can be used to remove old archived calendar items?)

• Ian, that's correct. The space saving in the mailbox is just the removal of the attachments