Forum Discussion

16 years ago

Basic Centera Collections Question

Hi

I have a very basic question and someone can hopefully re-assure my mind.

We have deployed FSA and archived all the DOCs from one file server.  The Vault usage page shows that we have 10952 items in about 11GB.

The Centera shows us 11GB but only 3924 file and 550 clips.

We use collections and I understand this rolls up files into less clips which explains the number of clips perfectly.  But why so few files?  Surely not dedupe as I wouldn't have thought there would be quite so much duplication on this server?

I have checked all logs and there are no errors reported so I'm fairly sure all is well, but hope someone can put my mind at rest please and explain the number of files shown on Centera?
  • Centera stores files in C-Clips. Each C-Clip represents any number of files up to 10MB so many files end us being stored as one on the Centera.

If you have a file larger than 10MB the centera splits the file into many parts but if most of your files are less than 10MB then chances are they are stored in many c-clips

This would explain the difference

Centera does not see files. It only sees BLOBS (Binary Large OBjects) As far as Centera is concerned it has a pile of Binary objects stored inside it's C-Clips it does not count files 

17 Replies