Forum Discussion

Slack
Level 4
8 years ago

Can't get backup pre or post scripts working quite right

OK, really strange issue and I have done some looking at other posts already as this is a common issue, but my symptoms are quite strange. (EV11)

• Created batch files that create archive bit files and calls powershell to set / unset backup mode on the store and index.
    • Pretty standard stuff
  • Running scripts on the EV server as the EV user works OK
  • Running scripts on the EV server as the Backup SV account does not work

However, it says it does if you look at the command run...

The .TXT file just sits there, not changing to OLD.

The .TXT / .OLD files go fine in terms of deletion / creation in the batch, but after setting and unsetting backup mode, nothing changes, those files do not process and nothing gets set as backed up. It's like backup mode is not clearing and then processing the archive bit file (however, it works as the EV account).

The Backup SV account is a local admin of the EV 11 server and also has the role "Power admin" or whatever it's called.

The script is in the screen shot as I cannot copy paste and need to redact - also, this shows it saying it was successful... but it's not. ignorearchivebittrigger.exe file still exists.

Any ideas? Not sure how it can say it successfully set and unset backup mode without really doing it.

Thanks

James

13 Replies

• Is this a new vault store partition?  Are you certain the vault store partition is set to use a trigger file and not the archive bit (default)?

Slack
      Level 4

In answer to the last 3 questions.

Yes, local admins definitley.

Have ran it locally on the server, will check the logs for clues.

Stores are all fine, as the exact same script works as the EV user. If script or store settings were wrong then the same script would also fail as the EV user.

Will look for clues in the logs today, however, on screen, it says successful as per the screenshot.

Slack
        Level 4

Well, that's odd.

I have made no changes since before, but when I went to do some more work on this today, I noticed that it is now working.

I had already set the permissions (both the EV role and server admin) and the scripts were good, services had been restarted.

The only thing I did last was manually set and unset backup mode to process the .TXT .> .OLD file. That was the last action... since then, it looks like it is working. However, it was NOT working the day after I did this... as this was advised earlier, I tried it, but then running the script as the other user was still not working... however, this was the last action and it is now working, a few days later.

I don't get it, but I am happy it is working at least.

Thanks for your assistance everyone.

GertjanA

+1 for Alan. To 'fix', clear backup mode on the EV site (rightclick site, clear backup mode for indexes, and for stores. That sets the entry back to 0

Slack
        Level 4

Hi guys,

Thanks for input.

I did mean TXT, just a typo on here.

As I said on the 1st post, running the exact same script on the EV server...

- The script works as the EV user. Perfect.

- The script says it works as the Backup user, but it does not process the "ignore" file (it stays as .txt - does not go to old).

It must be some kind or permission thing, surely?

• Hello James,

The file needs to be called IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt (not .exe, might be typo?).

You need to make sure that the triggerfile you create is written BEFORE backupmode is cleared. So, set backup mode, create triggerfile, clear backup mode. It also is necessary that the triggerfile has the current date/time. If you copy a file, it might have a wrong date. The date/time tell EV to consider everything before that date/time to be backedup.

I assume you set the partitions to use the triggerfile? (obvious, but easily forgotten).

Test: Set backup mode on a Vault Store. Create the triggerfile manually. Clear backup mode. Check the location where the triggerfile is, do you see an .old now?

Make sure the triggerfile is in the correct location. It might be you need to move it a folder up (or down) to be effective.