Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Completely exporting emails from the archived exchange server mailbox

Hi People,

Does exporting the archived mailbox from Enterprise Vaults includes all email items in the existing Exchange Server 2007 mailbox as well ?

or just the archived items only ?

I need to export bulk mailboxes into PST as my company financial department has been bought by the larger company and I need to export all of the people email objects.

• Hello John,

Let's start from the beginning. I have been in the same excercise a few times now.

It depends on the number of mailboxes really.

Possibility 1 -

Few users (let's say less than 100). Disable them from archiving. Put their mailboxes in 1 store on the Exchange Server. Restore all items from the archive back to the mailbox. (make sure store has enough space). Export mailbox to PST (remove shortcuts from mailbox), delete mailbox. This gives you 1 PST

Possibility 2 -

Disable users from archiving. Export archives to PST (PST1). Export mailboxes to PST (PST2) (remove shortcuts). There is no possibility to combine the exports into 1 PST.

Possibility 3 -

Use 3rd part tool (TransVault) to export archives to PST. Not sure if you can also export mailboxes to PST using TV. This is an option that should be considered if you have many mailboxes to process.

We've been moving mailboxes to other environments using Quest, TransVault, Exchange native Move Mailbox, and PST export/import. Using a 3rd party migration tool has preference (despite costs) because most tools have good reporting and retrying failed items possibilities. And, for Exchange move, you do need a trust one way or the other.

Does this help?

11 Replies