Forum Discussion

Meg_G
Level 4
14 years ago

Corrupt Evault Partition

Hi Running EV 8 SP5 on Win2k3 std 64bit.   SQL is 2005 SP2 on a separate server.  Using Exchange archiving, and I archive to local NTFS partitions. I have had some RAID and other IO related hardw...
    14 years ago

well there is definitely something going on, for you to have such a discrepency between what you had, and what you now have and EVSVR reporting whats missing its either

1. User deletions
    2. Storage Expiry
    3. Collections putting items in to CAB files
    4. an EVSVR repair removing any corruption that it found
    5. A database being restored to a time before items were archived

I'm not exactly sure what support are trying to say by there being not a 1:1 relation with DVS files and the number of items archived, because that still holds true, for each email archived there is always a DVS, if you have 2000 DVS files, you have 2000 archived email, the difference is when you have large attachments that get shared out, you could have 10 DVSSP files that are shared and with those DVSSP files gone, it can cause thousands of archived email to fail

For instance lets say I send 1000 people an email with a PDF file thats 1MB
    Everyone archives the email, and we're all part of the Vault Store Group that shares
    For each email archived there will be a DVS file created containing the meta data (who archived, when it was archived and other meta data etc)
    Then the PDF File gets archived once and in the database those 1000 emails will link to this one PDF File, because they all share it

so you have

1000 x DVS Files (1 for each person who archived the email)
    1 x DVSSP (This is the PDF file, all of those 1000 DVS files link to it)
    1 x DVSCC (This is the Converted content, the HTML/TEXT rendition of the PDF)

If you delete the 1 DVSSP, you now actually cause 1000 seperate failures, because each email that links to that PDF, will try to find it, see that its gone and fail the recombine.

This is what i was trying to say earlier when that those missing files could be leading to other errors in your EVSVR, so one DVSSP file can cause multiple archive emails to fail the integrity checks

Also forget the technote, you don't have a centera, if you set it up with the partition set to be a centera, it would never have worked, plus you have an active and working fingerprint database, which doesn't get used ever for the Centera, because the archiving piece hasn't change at all from 2007 -> 8 -> 9 etc