Forum Discussion

clgs
Level 2
13 years ago

Decommissioning old Exchange Server

We are in the process of decommissioning one of our Exchange Servers...the Enterprise Vault Mailbox is one of the few that remains on the server...there are no more user mailboxes on the Exchange Server so there is no more mail to archive...is it ok for me to delete the Enterprise Vault Mailbox from the server and decommission the old Exchange Server...one of the concerns i have, is will it impact the retrieval of previously archived mail?..is anyone aware of any documentation on how to properly retire an Exchange Server?

• I assume the users are on different Exchange servers that have archive tasks?  if yes, you should be good to go.

How to decommission an Exchange Server from Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV)

Article: TECH50256  |  Created: 2010-01-16  |  Updated: 2011-06-30  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50256

8 Replies

• I assume the users are on different Exchange servers that have archive tasks?  if yes, you should be good to go.

How to decommission an Exchange Server from Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV)

Article: TECH50256  |  Created: 2010-01-16  |  Updated: 2011-06-30  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50256

• Tony,

yes, the users have been moved to an Exchange 2010 server...thanks for the article link...I'll give it a go.

also, I'm going to need to move the archived mailboxes to a new Enterprise Vault Server...our current EV environment has 5 servers on version 9.02...would you recommend a upgrade the existing servers to the latest v.9 service pack or upgrade them to v.10 before using Move Archive?..the goal is to consolidate the 5 EV servers into one.

Thanks for your help.

• Ameen, we have 5 EV Sites...do you know if the process will work when trying to combine 5 sites into one?

Thanks

• You could do it that way but Move Archive or a third party utility might work better and give you the benifit of OSIS.

How many users you talking about?  And you mean 5 EV servers all part of the same site, right?  It could get a bit messy dealing with 5 vault stores and all the various index locations etc..  Would definitely take some proper planning.

• Unfortunately, we have about 450 active users, 5 EV Servers and 5 EV Sites

• Then you will need to use Move Archive or a third party, just moving the partitions won't work for you since you have the 5 seperate sites.

I would suggest you get pricing for third party utilities and see how it works into your budget.  You could also try Move Archive on your own to see how that works for you.

If it were me, I would upgrade to EV 9 sp3 on all my sites, do the move, and then upgrade to EV 10.