Forum Discussion

JohnWWT
Level 3
12 years ago

Deleting archived files using Archive Explorer

Does anyine know of a way I can delete folders of archived data from within Archive Explorer. I am currently running EV v8.0.5. If this feature is in a newer release, can you please let me know. All I can seem to do is to delete individual files not folders.

Regards

John

• Unfortunately that's probably the only way to delete archived folders. It's just the way the product works.

6 Replies

• You cannot delete archive folders. However you can delete the archive folder if it is empty and it has to be emptied for 32 days. I remember testing this feature a while ago.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47918

I 'think' if you are using Virtual Vault then you may be able to deleted archived folders. Not tested myself to be honest as it is not via Archive Explorer.

Hope that helps.

• In other words, if you have deleted all the items within a folder via archive explorer, set the regkey and the emtpy folder will be deleted eventually ;-)

• Thanks for your reply. Thats a bit of a tedious task for an administrator. I would like to run a script which deletes folders which have been restored from archive, as they do not need to stay on the archived tape.

Regards

John

• Unfortunately that's probably the only way to delete archived folders. It's just the way the product works.

• Yes, we archive to disk then to tape depending on the retention policy.

It sounds like there isn't a quick way of doing this.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

John