Forum Discussion

bawright
Level 4
12 years ago

DFS Deleteing reparse point files

Hi There We have reparse point files on our dfs share I know that these files don't get replicated which I don't care about. However these are been deleted from the share which I do care about....
    12 years ago

Interesting.

*maybe* this explains it

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725893.aspx

specifically, the text:

"When receiving files from the primary member during initial replication, if a receiving member contains files that are not present on the primary member, those files are moved to their respective DfsrPrivate\PreExisting folder. If a file is identical to a file on the primary member, the file is not replicated. If the version of a file on the receiving member is different from the primary member’s version, the receiving member's version is moved to the Conflict and Deleted folder and remote differential compression (RDC) can be used to download only the changed blocks. To avoid conflicts, do not make changes to files in the replicated folder on non-primary members until initial replication completes."

So maybe it is viewing it as a conflict and simply removing the file

I think to be honest you would need to ask on the Microsoft forums as to why DFS is removing the data though.

Regards,

Jeff