Forum Discussion

16 years ago

Enterprise Vault Backup takes a LONG time using Backup Exec 12.

Hello all,

We are using EV Vault 7.5 and backing it up using Backup Exec 12 with the EV agent.  Backup Exec is on the same server as the Vault DBs,but we have a separate SQL server.  My problem is that the Vault backup takes a long time, specifically 13 hours for about 550GB.   Within the EV agent almost everything backs up in a timely manner except  "EV-PTN::\\%servername%\MailStore01\MailStore01 Ptn1@E:", which is the actual Vault DB.  It backs up at around 700-750MB/min.  We are backing up to a TL2000 with LTO-4 drive which can theoretically backup at a rate of 400GB/hr.  When I backup a a flat file to this drive using Backup exec, it backs up at 4.5GB/min.  
Even other Vault data sets backup in a more timely manner, 2-3GB/min.  I think it is just the actual Vault DB that is the one going to slow.  I also tried backing up the DB to a disk on the server and the backup rate was the same, around 700MB/min.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix?  What could be causing the Vault DB to "throttle" or limit the backup to this speed?

David 

14 Replies