Forum Discussion

ggeorgi
Level 5
6 years ago

Enterprise Vault for Exchange Mailbox archiving - Data Classification

Hi to all. I have recently upgraded to 12.3.2 and I need to get familiar with the Data Classification feature. I have done everything said in the documentation, I have done testing on a single mail...
    6 years ago

You need to search for the index property where EV stores the Classification tag you chose. This is the value in parentheses when you're creating the Tag in the Veritas Information Classifier interface:

So if you want to see if your rule applied a Tag type of Index Property to the item, you would go to EV Search, right-click the column headers, choose Columns > Customize Columns, and add a custom column on the Index Property evtag.category, like so:

(EV index properties are case-sensitive, so make sure you type it in all lower case.)

Once you click Done, you should see your tag appear in the newly created column for any item that was processed by Classification and that matched the appropriate policy.

One other note:

The Classification folder under EVCache should be empty when archiving is not occurring. This is a temporary folder where item content is written in order to feed it to the Classification engine, and each item's content is deleted immediately after it is classified. At normal performance levels, this all happens too fast to work with these files manually. If you really want to see what EV is doing in this folder, you can change the setting in the VAC under Enterprise Vault Servers > right-click ServerName > Advanced tab > List settings from: Storage > Keep classification files. With this set to On, EV will not delete these files after the items have been classified, so you can inspect them at your leisure, which is useful for troubleshooting. Just make sure to turn this setting back Off when you're done or you risk accidentally filling up the drive.

I hope that helps. It can be tricky to get the hang of it, but the Classification feature is very powerful and can do some really neat things.

---Chris