Forum Discussion

4 years ago

How do I use Enterprise Vault to archive Exchange that has been archived by Enterprise Vault

Hello Guys

I hava a question ,My Mail Server is Exchange 2013 and I use Enterprise Vault 12.3 for archiving,The archiving operation does not delete the original item after archiving.When I migrate Exchagne 2013 mailbox to  other domain environment Exchange 2016,and I use Enterprise Vault 12.5, Now Unable to archive because the mail has an archive mark. What should I do.

Thanks 

• Hello,

1 - Migrate mailbox back to 2013, restore archive to mailbox, migrate to 2016 again..

2 - Remove EV shortcuts from mailbox, export archive to PST, import into mailbox

3 - use 3rd party migration tool to migrate archive into mailbox

4 - get a consultant in who knows EV.

That last one would have saved you a headache, as it is one of the easiest way to check how items are archived. Usually, items are not deleted, they are archived. To allow users to find them, they are converted to shortcuts. A shortcut usually does not have attachments, but links to them, and possibly contains only the first 100 lines of the original mail. It also should have a different icon, due to the messageclass change (IPM.Note turns into IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut).

11 Replies

• Hello,

1 - Migrate mailbox back to 2013, restore archive to mailbox, migrate to 2016 again..

2 - Remove EV shortcuts from mailbox, export archive to PST, import into mailbox

3 - use 3rd party migration tool to migrate archive into mailbox

4 - get a consultant in who knows EV.

That last one would have saved you a headache, as it is one of the easiest way to check how items are archived. Usually, items are not deleted, they are archived. To allow users to find them, they are converted to shortcuts. A shortcut usually does not have attachments, but links to them, and possibly contains only the first 100 lines of the original mail. It also should have a different icon, due to the messageclass change (IPM.Note turns into IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut).

BrttanyTong
      Level 3
      Thank you for your help.The mailbox has been successfully migrated to Exchange 2016. It is not possible to archive these mails with Enterprise Vault 12.5, because the migrated mails have been archived before. How to remove the archived marks?There was talk in the community of changing the database table fields and registry of the Enterprise Vault server, but no solution was provided.
        BrttanyTong
        Level 3
        Yes,I want to re-archive content in a new EV,Is it enough to just change the registry key?