Forum Discussion

Germano
Level 3
8 years ago

Error to execute Dtrace

Hello guys,

I have a problem to execute a Dtrace in EV 10.0.4.

When I run the "monitor" or "log" command the following error appears:

ERR: {SharedMemorySink::initialiseMemoryObjs:#217}

I've reviewed all of the server's virtual memory configuration, VSA user permission and the VSA's TEMP folder permission.

Any idea what it could be?

I have several calls open and can not collect the logs because of this problem.

Thanks!

• As a reference for anyone who might have this issue in the future, we worked with Germano in EV support to resolve this issue.  As Chris Langevin mentioned above, it was indeed permissions-related. Specifically it seemd like the VSA didn't have access to the block of active memory that dtrace was running on, which doesn't make much sense.

Our solution was to remove the VSA and the EV server from all GPO's by making exclusions for them both in each object.  We then forced a GPUpdate.  For good measure, we rebooted the server, though the GPUpdate should have sufficed.  After that the problem subsided.  I don't know the nature of all of the GPO rules pushed out in that organization, so I could not say what rule and on which GPO the problem originated from.

Thanks for working with us on it, Germano!  I'll work on publishing something that this can be referenced to in the future. 

3 Replies

• As a reference for anyone who might have this issue in the future, we worked with Germano in EV support to resolve this issue.  As Chris Langevin mentioned above, it was indeed permissions-related. Specifically it seemd like the VSA didn't have access to the block of active memory that dtrace was running on, which doesn't make much sense.

Our solution was to remove the VSA and the EV server from all GPO's by making exclusions for them both in each object.  We then forced a GPUpdate.  For good measure, we rebooted the server, though the GPUpdate should have sufficed.  After that the problem subsided.  I don't know the nature of all of the GPO rules pushed out in that organization, so I could not say what rule and on which GPO the problem originated from.

Thanks for working with us on it, Germano!  I'll work on publishing something that this can be referenced to in the future. 

• Hi Germano,

Have you tried restarting the EV server and reattempt setting the dtrace?

• Error 80070005 means Access Denied. I know I have seen this error before when running the dtrace as a user who is not the VSA (e.g., another type of admin assigned using RBA). It sounds like you might be having a similar problem.

If you need to know exactly what object on a computer you're being denied access to, Process Monitor is a great tool to use.

--Chris