Forum Discussion

warnox
Level 3
10 years ago

EV - Exchange Task Target Missing Databases

Hi,

I have an environment with 2 Exchange 2010 Mailbox servers, in a DAG. There are some 6 databases in the DAG and a few standalone ones. For some reason the Exchange Mailbox Task, for both mailbox servers, is only showing 1 database. One of these databases doesn't even exist anymore.

From looking around I believe this list should be updated by the Exchange Provisioning Task. This task seems to run fine and if I run the report (full or brief) I can see no errors. Although I can see no information regarding the databases either, only regarding the users it's processed.

I've tried re-creating the Provisioning Task as well as the Exchange Mailbox tasks but every time the target list is the same.

Am I missing something or does something not look right? This installation of EV is not in production yet.

Enterprise Vault Version: 11.0.0.1351, Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010

Thanks for any help.

• Alright, looks like I misunderstood something in the process.

1. A database will only show up in the 'target' tab of the Exchange Mailbox Task if there is a Mailbox Enabled for Archiving located in this database. What I didn't realise is that running the Exchange Mailbox Task manually doesn't enable a mailbox for archiving, it only does that once it runs via it's schedule.

2. If a database is removed (or renamed) from Exchange and there used to be an Archive Enabled user in that database, it will not be removed from the 'target' tab of the task. This is a known issue apparently and Symantec are working on it, as I just found out from their support team. We could remove the entry from SQL directly but as they're not 100% sure of the outcome I decided to leave it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

8 Replies

• did you run the Exchange permissions powershell script that comes with EV? 

what does the task properties targets show for the EV task for other Exchange server?

do you have EV system mailboxes configured for both?

• So your users are provisioned correctly?  Are there any errors in the provisioning report?

• Hi Andrew,

I didn't do the initial installation so I'm not sure about the script but I'm guessing it was run, although that would have been before some of these databases existed. I did check the permissions on the databases and the EV Service Account has receive-as, send-as and ms-Exch-Store-Admin rights.

The other task shows also one database but that database still exists. The only users which are showing up in EV are in this database (hence I came across this problem).

Yes, EV system mailboxes are configured on both servers and are located in standalone databases on each server.

EDIT: All the databases have the rights below for the EV service account.

ExtendedRights
    --------------
    {Send-As}
    {Receive-As}
    {ms-Exch-Store-Visible}
    {ms-Exch-Store-Admin}
    {ms-Exch-Store-Create-Named-Properties}
    {ms-Exch-Open-Send-Queue}

• Tony,

I cannot see any errors in the provisioning report, excep that users which are not in this one database are missing from the console all together. Report attached.

In the system status there are 2 critical errors but I don't think these are related.

1. Days since last check that newly-archived data is secure

2. Days since items archived from Exchange mailboxes

• So it is hard to know for sure but it would seem your provisioning groups do not target all your users.  You would need to add users as targets in one of the provisioning group

Adding a Provisioning Group for Exchange Server archiving

Article:HOWTO97914  |  Created: 2014-05-07  |  Updated: 2014-05-07  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO97914

The warnings are most likely due to the system not going into backup mode and also from the schedule archiving not occurring.

• The users are in provisioning groups but because they're not in one of the databases which are picked up by the Exchange Mailbox Task, they aren't showing up for archiving. (that's my theory anyway)

I have various provisioning groups set up, some based on groups and others based on users directly for testing.

• Alright, looks like I misunderstood something in the process.

1. A database will only show up in the 'target' tab of the Exchange Mailbox Task if there is a Mailbox Enabled for Archiving located in this database. What I didn't realise is that running the Exchange Mailbox Task manually doesn't enable a mailbox for archiving, it only does that once it runs via it's schedule.

2. If a database is removed (or renamed) from Exchange and there used to be an Archive Enabled user in that database, it will not be removed from the 'target' tab of the task. This is a known issue apparently and Symantec are working on it, as I just found out from their support team. We could remove the entry from SQL directly but as they're not 100% sure of the outcome I decided to leave it.

Thanks for the help everyone!