Forum Discussion

The_Boulon
Level 5
8 years ago

EV 12 Infra review

Hi Ladies and Gents!

I am currently migrating AD domain to include them in forest where EV is already present.

Now, I need to install additionnals EV servers (yes yes, more than one) for DE, JP and probably US and other countries.

The thing is that for the moment only one server is used as 'entry point' (if you understand what I mean) for everything. That server is also use for archiving ang pst import.

That's not really great if that server fails :-s

So, I was thinking to review the infra and add some servers for different 'roles' like this:

• 2 servers in cluster with no vault stores, indexes, but with pst import and the "general alias" for search and outlook connection
  • 1 Indexing server (or 2, to be checked)
  • x servers for archiving (by land)

Like this, no problem if one server fails, the rest will still working.

Do you thing this kind of infra is possible? 

7 Replies

• Hi there,

Yes this is possible, just be aware of the following:

1. You will have to publish these new EV servers externally and specify them in the relevant Desktop policies for Outlook Anywhere access. Also, use them for the relevant sites' office mail app configuration. Note this will not necessarily improve performance unless you move some of the users to these new servers but you said that you do not plan to be configuring any vault stores on them.

2. For the indexing servers, ideally, you should group them by location and use them accordingly.

Let me know if you have questions.

The_Boulon
      Level 5

Hello Virgil,

Many thanks for your answer and yes, you confirm what I thought.

1. It's pretty simple by that customer: everybody got the same policy, no exception (COO,CEO, whatever the title is)! And no external access to your mail (need to first VPN to the HQ). Vault Stores will be on each archiving server.

2. All will be in Belgium as this is the HQ for Europe (and trust me, the WAN lines are pretty good)!

Thanks for all!

Olivier