Forum Discussion

WiTSend
Level 6
11 years ago

EV11, IMAP and Blackberry

Has anyone attempted to configure EV11 IMAP on a Blackberry device?  I just ran into an issue where the *@company.com is controlled by the BES server and will not allow configuration of an IMAP client using that address. 

Any thoughts?

• Okay, here's the workaround that I discovered, later confirmed by BB as their suggestion as well.  You can configure the IMAP using a secondary email address on the same account.  l.E, @acme.com is the primary SMTP but we also have @oldacme.com as a secondary SMTP on the email/AD accounts.  By using the secondary SMTP you don't trigger the BB requirement of only one email account per domain that is controlled by BB.

10 Replies

• Can you explain what you mean by:

- Controlled by the BES (blackberry) server?

Surely the Email records, and SMTP domain are controlled by the Exchange server?

• If you'll look at the screen shot posted earlier.  When there is a BES server in the environment it doesn't allow an IMAP/POP connection to any address from a BB device, only ActiveSync or Blackberry connections. 

• There is no BES policy to allow multiple email accounts on a single BB phone from one domain.  Therein lies the problem.  BB is restricted to one account per domain. 

• Then I guess you're stuck unless either Blackberry or Symantec do 'something' ?

• Hello WiTSend,

This issue seems to be more related to BES rather than EV. I found some forums and BB Articles describing the same issue but with Exchange ActiveSync:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB34326&sliceId=2&dialogID=89339&cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&isLoadPublishedVer=&stateId=89353&docTypeID=DT_SUPPORTISSUE_1_1&ViewedDocsListHelper=com.kanisa.apps.common.BaseViewedDocsListHelperImpl

Overview

When attempting to add an Exchange ActiveSync account with the same domain as a work account on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, the following message is displayed:

This email account cannot be added because your company manages all accounts that connect to <company domain>.

Cause

To enhance security of the domain specified for use with BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, it is no longer possible to add an Exchange ActiveSync account with the same domain as the work account. This allows the administrator to ensure all accounts for the specified domain are secured with the same IT policy created by the organization.

This feature has been implemented on BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.1.

Resolution

This is by design and operating as intended.

However, there are some forums stating that if you use a different domain, you can add the email account with IMAP, but you need to make some changes to the AD user accounts. Take a look at this forum:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bes-10-f321/cannot-add-work-address-another-exchange-address-807418/

Either way, you should contact Blackberry for more assistance.

I hope this helps.

• I think other folks are going to have similar problems setting up an IMAP connection for EV mobile device access if MDM software only allows a single profile for the "email" application

• Okay, here's the workaround that I discovered, later confirmed by BB as their suggestion as well.  You can configure the IMAP using a secondary email address on the same account.  l.E, @acme.com is the primary SMTP but we also have @oldacme.com as a secondary SMTP on the email/AD accounts.  By using the secondary SMTP you don't trigger the BB requirement of only one email account per domain that is controlled by BB.