Forum Discussion

mbietz711
Level 4
14 years ago

FSA-Archiving Passthrough-Recall corrupts Data

Hi,

we have a big issue with FSA and passthrough recall.
So first of all our system.

Evault 9.0.1 (the latest version)

Windows 2003 Server where FSA is installed.

The archives lies on a centera.

The issue is that every file beyond 100MB gets corrupted, if it is recalled by passthrough mechanism.

If i disable passthrough recalls, the files are recalled without any corruption also if i use archiveexplorer the files are fine.

Well, i did a testing with a .tif graphics file to check whats going on.
And with passthrough recalls the file gets blanks every 100MB.
You see it very well in the graphic file, where in every 100MB interval the graphic has blank data in it.

So if you have a 250 MB Data file it will get corrupted every 100MB with passthrough recall.

Is there anything i can do to prevent this corruption without deactivating the passthrough recall mechanism?

thanks

Michael

• Today EVault Service Technician contacted me.

This is indeed a bug in this constellation, Symantec will fix it in the next ServicePack

or perhaps release a Hotfix for that.

regards

Michael

8 Replies

• I would recommend logging a case for this one top be honest as not seen this issue before and would really need to know if SYMC can repro.

• Well i tested another thing,

i just set up a NTFS-VaultStore Partition, and archived things to this destination.

Well, in this case there is no corruption if i do passthrough recalls from this destination.

So it seems that the module which is fetching the data from the centera has a bug.

Can someone confirm this?

• As ArchivingCentral said, it's best to open a support case for this so that we can try to replicate the issue

• Well i contacted the support yesterday,

i got a case number (413-566-983) and was told that a technician would call me.

Till then there is no respond, and this is very critical because we have many files

more than 100MB which now gets corrupted

• You need to work this via support.  If it is critical call in to support and have the severity raised to a Sev 2. 

You can ask for a Duty Manager and explain how serious this situation is for you.

• Support is definitely the way to follow this up, and as Tony says, get it escalated via the duty manager if you are not getting a response. 

Saying that, could you do a quick test for me? Could you:

1. Stop the placeholder service.
    2. Delete all files in pass-thru cache location on the file server.
    3. Start the placeholder service.
    4. Attempt to recall the large file

Please let me know the result.

Thanks, Darren

• Today EVault Service Technician contacted me.

This is indeed a bug in this constellation, Symantec will fix it in the next ServicePack

or perhaps release a Hotfix for that.

regards

Michael