Forum Discussion

SolarP
Level 6
16 years ago

FSA Archiving with NetAPP Filers

Hi all I have a few questions about File Server Archiving against NetApp Filers. I am half way through an implementation of EV 8 with a customer for Exchange archiving and now they want to add  th...
    16 years ago
    Q. Do Placeholder shortcuts work correctly when created on NetApp filers (I am assuming ONTAP 7.x as its a new device but I have asked the question)

A. Yes - look and behave just like the ones on windows.

Q. If so are there any limitations

A. The NetApp API's do not allow us to set the accurate 'size on disk' so if you look at the properties of a NetApp placeholder, the file size and size on disk will both show the same size. You may think there's been no space saving, but if you look in the NetApp console, you will see the saving realised there.

Q. Are there any backup issues to look out for such as recalling the data as I have heard about when the NetAPPs are backed up

A. Typically no. If you are using SnapShot or NDMP, then the placeholders will not get recalled. If you are doing a file level backup, then there is the change of recall is the backup software is not offlne aware. You can exclude the backup service account from performing recalls if needed.

Q. Are there any gotchas or differences in configuring EV to archive from a NETAPP Filer instead of a normal WIndows server.

A. Read the FSA admin guide (much expanded in v8 SP1). The config is different but is well detailed in the manuals.

Darren