Forum Discussion

15 years ago

How-to for end-user to unvault email

I am an end-user (not admin) and would like to unvault some Microsoft Outlook emails.
I can't find documentation oriented toward the end user.
Can someone please link me to documentation or describe how an end-user can unvault emails.

Problem:
I was away on vacation for long enough that my inbox is now almost entirely vaulted.
Accessing email from the vault is unacceptably slow and I cannot perform actions on vaulted emails.
One of many actions I find necessary would be to copy an email to a local folder. There is some kind of error in my companies configuration that won't allow me to copy email that has been vaulted from one folder to another (the whole email, not just some silly stub). This is not something I can fix, but it is a problem I need to get around.

Please help me unvault my email.

From another post, I performed an Advanced Find with Message Class = enterprise and have a list of emails that are vaulted.
Now what?
  • In Internet Explorer I assume you see the address as such  http://evserver/enterprisevault/search.asp  add ?advanced to the end of it. 
    So it looks like http:// evserver/enterprisevault/search.asp?advanced.  this will give you the option to search for items in the folder Inbox.

See how that gets on for you.

9 Replies

• In Outlook on the Toolbar click Help > Enterprise Vault Help Topics.  here you will find documentation for end users.

There is a section in here for Restoring items.

See if that helps.

If you do not have the Restore option in Outlook you can try the WebApp Search.  If you click the Search icon for EV and then click Browser Search that will open the web search.  Again, if you do not have those options then they have been blocked by your Admin.

You admin is able to restore the mail back to your inbox by a date range using the Export options, That may be the best option.

Regards,

• May I ask why you copy your e-mail to local folders?

You should have a "restore" button on your toolbar you can use to restore items, if your admin has allowed it.

Regardless, it may be best if you contact your Admin/Support and ask for assistance, as there may be policies that prevent you from copying company information to your local disk.

Cheers
    Michel
  • Hmm, it looks like my admins have disabled the ability to "restore from vault" and using the web search I have been unable to find a search term that says, "is in my Inbox."

Copying to a local folder was simply one of many things I'd like to do that I cannot with EV.

1. Enterprise Vault doesn't allow use of the preview pane.
    2. Opening an email that has been vaulted takes ~5-10 seconds. This does more than simply annoy me.
    3. I like to save personal emails in a pst so I can take them home.
    4. When my entire Inbox has been vaulted, work takes longer and is beyond frustrating.

• It also sounds as if the shortcut content is set to none, this is also a configurable option with EV. 

You might want to explain the situation to your EV admin and ask him/her to restore the mail you need to work with back to your inbox.

Taking 5~10 seconds sounds a bit excessive to view archived items, but without knowing the particulars of your environment it is not prudent to speculate.

Regards,

• Hi,
    Also speak to your administration.  there is a feature called vault cache which they can give you that allows you to view items whilst offline, just like a PST.

re: performance, should only take a second or two.  Also if you have recent items archived, i would speak to your admint as they can change those settings and if you are suffering from these settings I expect you are not the only one.

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Thanks,
    I'm writing an email to my admin group, to ask for cache and maybe a longer timeout. I just got off the line with my helpdesk and they say there is no such button as "unvault." Hmmm, seems you guys might know a little more then my guys, but ya know...

Last topic: When I use the web search with a blank search string, I get 10000 items. Adding a search criteria of age < 1 month narrows that to 500, but when I get the result list, there are items listed as coming from the Inbox that aren't actually in my Inbox. Any clues?
  • In Internet Explorer I assume you see the address as such  http://evserver/enterprisevault/search.asp  add ?advanced to the end of it. 
    So it looks like http:// evserver/enterprisevault/search.asp?advanced.  this will give you the option to search for items in the folder Inbox.

See how that gets on for you.

• Is there an advanced find option?  Also, in Outlook click Help > About Enterprise Vault and tell us what version you are.