Forum Discussion

jpriddy
Level 4
14 years ago

Items archived in duplicate due to item "archive pending" expiration

My environment is EV 7.5 SP6 for MS Exchange, running on Windows 2003 with SQL 2005. 

We recently uncovered an issue where the EV backup jobs in NetBackup 7 would no longer clear the archive bit on the files in the Vault Store.  From what we can tell now, this went on for over a month, and so the items in Archive Pending kept expiring, archiving task would run again and mark them archive pending, they would expire again, and so on.  Once the issue with the archive bit was fixed, apparently all the previous attempts at archiving these items generated EV items that were committed to the vault store.  So some cases I have 10 or more duplicates of items in my archives.

I tried to export one of the archives back into PST files, and then export to another PST from within Outlook with the option to not copy the duplicate items, but all the duplicate items were retained.  The items look identical in every way if I look at the attributes so I'm not sure why Outlook would see them as unique items.

Do I have any recourse for cleaning this up?  

Thanks in advance.

• Even though this is for EV 9 it might work.  There is this note:

Legacy (pre-EV8) savesets
    ---------------------------
    ArchivePointIdentity,IdPartition,VaultIdentity (folder identity) ,IdChecksumHigh,IdChecksumLow,IdDateTime (creation date),IdUniqueNo.
    So the items which may have same binary content may not be treated as duplicate if they are not on same partition, not in same folder or do not have same unique number.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154803

7 Replies

• I think the only way you can sort this out would be to export to PST, and at the same time choose to remove the items from the vault, effectively clearing it.

You can then use a 3rd party PST deduplicator and re-import.

I would advise that you upgrade as this issue was resolved in later versions (EV8). EV9.0.2 is out, but you would need to upgrade to EV8 first, let it settle, then goto 9.

• Even though this is for EV 9 it might work.  There is this note:

Legacy (pre-EV8) savesets
    ---------------------------
    ArchivePointIdentity,IdPartition,VaultIdentity (folder identity) ,IdChecksumHigh,IdChecksumLow,IdDateTime (creation date),IdUniqueNo.
    So the items which may have same binary content may not be treated as duplicate if they are not on same partition, not in same folder or do not have same unique number.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154803

• Good spot Tony. I knew we had something like that a while back, but I never saw it for ages.....something to bookmark!

• The dedup tool is version specific - so best bet is to get up to 9.

• I may be wrong here, but I don't think Support have specific versions of this tool. To be honest I didn't even realise it was available as I remember the beta testing years ago, and it kinda went off the radar....

• Aw, come on Mark, we know you guys have a stash of cool tools tucked away on some little known file server.  wink